Sierra Stalks

jaimo

the original stalks on car ar sierra 83bg but there knackered snapped etc got some mint 87bg i understand that they switch different but can i rewire them to work as got problems with no dipp or main beam, when work main beam side lights go brighter and when put sidelights on main beam also lights up on dash original sierra 83 dash goes off wen main beam worked on stalk. anybody help

Just had at look at the different stalks the main beam/indicator the numbers on both are the same and same place so in theory that shud work I know that indicators and hazards do can't check main as not working but the wiper/light stalk numbers are all different so mite be easier to get new 83bg stalk but still doesn't explain why light not working do they need to go through relay as don't think fuse box got spades in relay position so really can't of had one

just noticed everyone oing on about an earth on top of stalks or something pin 31 or smilar what is this as my stalks as far as i can see fit to colum with 2 screws and a piece of meatl goes over stalk to top screw on each salk but no seperate wires apart from stalk plugs what is this earth 31

just noticed looking n the bay that some of the wiper/light sierra stalks have the spade connectors at the top i have the 83b which was on the original when built and a set of 87b which i think came with the spares from a sierra later stripped for the engine that in hoodie now and niether have the spade connectors on.

mine is a 1983 y reg so i take it it shud use the 83b stalks not that that really helps with probs at mo or does it

just purchased a new wiper/light stalk part number 83bg11k665ca to replace the same that was on car but it was broke

pin numbers

31, 58, 53-2, s54

31b2, 30, 53c, 15

53b, 54, 53, 31b1

there is no spade conecttors anywhere as previous stalk didnt either

the pin 53-2 has a connector strip going to bottm of stalk so does this stalk not have the spades but earts through the mounting screws

please help

That's the correct right hand early stalk. Positive switching to headlights, no relays. Doesn't have a separate earth spade. Earth is terminal 31, top left pin in your picture and in the loom.Terminal 54S, top right is the elusive linkwire terminal in these early stalks.

You can fit 87 stalks which ford made negative headlight switching and different washer wiring but they will need two relays to switch headlights but GBS I believe re-wire to make them positive switching. Seem to remember KnightsTemplar may know about this.

Nigel

Depends on what loom you have, what changes you might have to make in the wiring between 83BG and later stalks. Do-able I'm sure although I have never worked it out. Could/might think on it tomorrow.

Edited by Longboarder

its the sierra loom i am just trying to get everything working so can mot and get on road have summer fun then winter will get new gauges etc etc and rewire dash so now i know i got correct stalks and there working ust got to get dip and main working but if we can rewire later stalks that would be brill as there brand new both of then the 87bg ones let me know thanks again

"I know nothing"...."nothing" for those ancient enough to remember Hogans Heroes.

as longboarder says, early switch does not use relays, and the later switch, both earth switch and live switch, may not take the power.

quick look at book, this is how I see it , BUT, it needs checking.

longboarder?

old light switch. live for headlight DIP beam comes from pin 15 off the light switch, and out off S54 of the light switch, when headlight are switched ON, this is linked to the headlight flasher switch pin 56.

on your new switch there is no pin 15, instead it uses spade 31 as one side of the circuit, live or earth, BUT connects to pin 56 when the headlights are ON, which again is linked to the headlight flasher switch pin 56.

so

assuming you are changing JUST the light/wiper stalk

disconnect the wire to pin 15 and extend it to spade 31, as there is no pin S54 you will need to make sure that the link wire is connected to pin 56.

Switch load

pre 1985 Sierra looms did not have relays for the headlights, after 1985 with your early switch, it did, for DIP beam only, if you have the relay it should be fine, if not I think you will need to put a relay into circuit.

I think the easiest place would be where the yellow wire exits the loom at the headlights.

If you intend to change the headlight/indicator stalk as well, there will be more changes required.

interested to see if people agree/disagree with theory, as I have no way of checking :)

teach me for reading post out of sequence, you haven’t the spades? stupid me.

You have replaced one odd switch, out of the nine different versions made, with another, the joys of Ebay.

not a problem if you don’t have the relay, as you indicate it is pre 1985

earth pin 31 NOT live, fit relay into circuit at headlight join, yellow wire, to reverse switching and lessen the load