Sierra Stalks

jaimo

I know of two 83bg layouts so it is worth carefully examining both the old and the new switch pins as in your pic to record the pin numbers. Then you will know you are swapping like for like. The one you picture has the layout shown but I have done the plug, not the switch to help with wire tracing and fault finding. For the lights to work with that layout they need 12v ignition live in at pin 15 and 12v constant live at pin 30.

When you switch the headlight switch to position 1 it connects pin 30 to pin 58 (out to the side lights). (Test continuity of the stalk, 30 to 58 in position 1 & 2 and also 12v at 30 in the plug)

When you switch to position 2 it connects the ignition live input from pin 15 to pin S54 and out through the Br/W link wire to pin 56 on the dip/main/flash switch on the left hand column switch. The left column switch simply serves it out to dip or main depending on its position. (Test continuity of the stalk, 15 to S54 in position 2 and test ignition live 12v at 15 in the plug. Test continuity of the link wire from S54 on right to 56 on left) (Wired this way headlights only work with ignition ON! But this is standard.)

Flash is supplied from an ignition live input to pin 15 on the left column switch, Not from the link wire. (If you wanted to be able to flash with the ignition off then supply pin15 with a constant live)

Nigel

post-21-0-69127800-1424004664_thumb.jpg

Fitted the new stalk and still had probs but got to botom of it the fusebox contacts are dodgy wiggle and all lights work side dip and main but no rear fogs and main beam on dash illunitatin with dip beam on and goes brighter wen main beam used so could have major bad earths what you think all this help is great guys thanks

Jaimo, can you do some more excellent pictures of the back of the 87 stalks you have.

KT Im still looking at the change-over, neg to pos switching. I'm concerned that changing the 31 on the light switch from earth to pos also has an effect on the washer/rear washwipe giving constant washer action when the washer switch is on or off. Or are the two earth spades separate/shared/can be separated?

Nigel

Guest Jonnyround2003

HI Nigel do you have a copy of the later stalk diagram still having problems with mine did what you said but still cant work out what to do I still have a cable going to the fog switch from the main beam lights + the link wire from between the stalks is this correct I will look again toning for markings on the stalks

HI Nigel do you have a copy of the later stalk diagram still having problems with mine did what you said but still cant work out what to do I still have a cable going to the fog switch from the main beam lights + the link wire from between the stalks is this correct I will look again toning for markings on the stalks

NO!! You should only have ONE feed into the switch!