Starter Motor On 2.0L Pinto..........yay Or Nay?

Guest mdav1970

Guest mower man

Chuck enough money at the problem & a solution will eventually come --- but is it the Hoodie way? My car & the fixing/maintaining of her is part of my hobby/pass-time -- could always buy brand new from the outset but that wouldn't fill my days in retirement.

OK Bob but if its fixed quiker and more permanatly you get more time to enjoy driving and not using the list of anglo saxon expletives mick :crazy:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it's a balancing act Mick, in this instance of a starter motor fail I repaired/refurbed Florin's just after IVA as it had poor performance ( worse when hot) & it remains O.K after 30,000 miles.

So how long must elapse before successful rebuild is declared? As usual you decide on an action & only time will tell ---- its not a safety critical item so a fix was made --- wouldn't do a refurb on a brake cylinder for instance

Guest mdav1970

*bleep* off, ordered a new starter from Euro Car Parts for delivery in store 11.30, got there at 12 no starter motor, missed off van :aggressive:

Went back 3.30pm after being assured it will arrive, it did, seemed ok, just been out putting it on the car and its too short, turns but doesnt engange flywheel, looks like on their website its listed for an auto!

is this correct? can someone look on Euro Car Parts website and tell me which one is correct.

This is what they gave me. Part no. 402590701

Have you measured the starter nose length and the number of teeth on the pinion? Does the solenoid push the pinion out as far as your original? Have you contacted Eurocarparts and what have they said? Their part number does read as though it's for auto transmission.

Guest mdav1970

Havent yet spoken to them, it was only late when i put it on car, and the silly thing is because i had the old one with me when i picked up the new i handed it over due to the surcharge. Will ring them in a bit to see if they still have the old motor. But can you see any of the ones listed on thier site that dont say auto?

402590581 and 402591151(out of stock) both aimed at pinto engines and don't mention auto. The pinto starter was a shorter fatter body than the one you bought as standard. 10 tooth pinion. 89mm diameter locating ring for the hole in the crap plate and belhousing?

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest mdav1970

More frustration from Euro CP , phoned this morning and the guy could see there error in what they orderd so ordered another to arrive this afternoon, went there and its the same one they already gave me, the box was for the correct one but what was in the box was wrong..... :crazy:

Anyway spoke to an older guy there who use to get me my Porsche bits, who knows the one to get as he was around when they use to be a popular off the shelf part. Lets hope when i go back on Tuesday it wont be another wasted time. Once i get the right one i will post on here so others know what to ask for.

Guest 2b cruising

It's not just the agree action of the running around. Frustration caused is also a big downer on patience and moral.

Stick with it Mark. You will get there in the end.

Guest mdav1970

Euro Car Parts gave up. I wanted the start by this weekend to test the car before i take it to the Transport Show at Weston Park on the 6th April. They couldn't guarantee they would have it by then so they refunded me back.

I've gone for this one of Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301517274457?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be here tomoz, or at least at Argos for collection by tomorrow. Then i can try it on the car to see if it was defo the starter.....