R1 Carbs Keep Coming Off Manifold (How Do Ifix Carbs To Manifold)

Guest windscreen man

Guest windscreen man

Hi all, i have r1 carbs on my redtop 2b and the carbs are fixed onto the manifold with short pieces of silicone hose and jubilee clips, however the carbs keep coming off ?? How can i fix carbs to manifold or stop hoses coming off??

(i cant ust the correct original r1 carb to manifold clips because they wont line up with manifold ), thanx lew

Guest 2b cruising

Silicon hoses can be a bit of a pain.

If you are using worm drive jubilee clips, try to find some the correct size in stainless. These clips usually have the thread part of the clips with the holes going all the way through.

They are much stronger and will take a lot more torque than the standard cheapo's.

If these won't work, you can always try the correct size Mikalor clips.

Just make sure you don't cut through the silicon with the clips.

HTH Ken.

Mikalor clips are the best as they wrap completely round and give even pressure to seal properly. They have limited adjustment so you need to get the correct size. As DanE says bracket the carbs back to the engine to give the carbs support as well. I have used the manufacturers intake rubbers and clips and have no problems but they are expensive new if you have to buy them.

Original bike carbon rubbers are the best solution, but if they aren't available the brackets are next. I ended up with a bracket at each end of the carbs fixed under the manifold nuts.

Some people have even glued the hose to the carbs and used the jubilee clips as a secondary fix, which is ok as long as your hose is fully fuel proof.

Guest alfaGTA

Screwfix stock 9mm wide jubilee clips, they are not marketed as such-most clips are 12mm and are too wide.... Mikalor are a quality product though! T bolts are overkill with the right fluoro lined silicone hoses and clips those carbs are going nowhere! DanSt can supply all you need and they won't fail

I had the carbs bolted in by 2 long bars running parallel with the rocker cover/block (one at the top and one at the bottom of the carbs) and then bolted to the engine at either end.

It was more a cradle than anything else.

So, these were as rigid as the engine, (which moves anyway) so you should`nt have any problems with frothing up.

Andi

Edited by Andi

I had the same problem as you when I first fitted R1 carbs. The main problem on these carbs is the narrow amount of carb body available for the standard width jubilee clip to seat. I ended up grinding each of the clips down to make them narrower which allowed them to sit behind the narrow lip on the carb body. This was a bit of a fiddle but has worked so far. I also fitted a bracket from the carbs to the engine block which greatly improved the stability. Remember to keep smiling!

Guest 2b cruising

Optimum is to mount as on bike, flexible to take out the vibrations. Correct type hoses and clips. As previousely suggested DanSt.

Yes fixed mounting brackets will work, however. You have already spotted the down side of that system.

Even Webber side draught carbs have a rubber tube between carb and engine to eliminate frothing.

HTH. Ken.