Engine Change

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

Hi all i have a robin hood super spec with a 2ltr twin overhead cam dohc engine the engine was from a sapphire so i was looking at changing it to some think better i think the car has the vicky green wire loom in as i didnt build the car so not to sure so can i put a new engine in it with this loom or will this need rewiring with a new loom what sort of engine is best this is my first kit car so am not 100% on what is best to do any help would be great thanks

Guest jelleyhead

More power also there don't seem to be upgrades for this engine plus finding it hard to find parts was thinking would be better to have more of a up to date engine thats easy to get parts for

Guest jelleyhead

Just been having a look there's a'lot of kits with zetecs in kitcar spares do 2ltr zetec new for around £950 then you need to get all other bits or is it worth buying a hole car then i have the engine also the loom if i should need to change the loom what's the best way to go

Just checking ;-)

Have a search on here, lots of info on zetec swaps, not cheap to do though.

As for wiring, your current loom is fine for the most part. Will need changes though to suit the zetec and whatever ecu you use.

Edited by theduck

Guest 2b cruising

If you have only recently got your Robin, why don't you leave as is just for one season.

Converting to another engine can sometime get a bit involved and take much longer than you ever intended.

This would give you at least all the summer to enjoy your car for what it is. During this time you will get pleanty of opportunities to have a look at other members cars at shows and meetings.

I have the standard dohc the same as yours. On the rolling road it pulled 137bhp and the torque figure was even better.

The Zeetec as standard Has worse torque figures than this, and only slightly better on bhp.

So far I have had no difficulty finding parts for mine. This also includes help from club members.

Yes the Zeetec can be upgraided hugely, depending on how much you want to spend.

Many other options are out there including v6 Cossies, v8 rover etc. 4 cylinder Cosworths,

My intentions sometime in the near future is to put the vxr engine in as standard giving 240 is BHP. They can go up in bhp to 300 bhp without internal modification. Then if you get the forged internals you can go as high as your wallet will allow.

However, if you look through track stats etc, you will find bike engined models are more popular.

Also unless you are a pro racer, anything after 300 gets quite uncontrollable.

Good luck with whatever your decision turns out to be, and I wish you many happy years in your Hood.

Finally, welcome to the best club in the land.

Ken.

Guest mower man

As above get a summers milage on it then do your research into swaps mx5 motors are less powerfull as std [1600] but as shown can with work [turbo /super charger ] prduce some very impressive figs as can the zetec it mainly depends on the depth of your pockets and the use it will be put to budgets can soon escalate frighteningly mick

Just to add my experience it would cost abut £1200 to do a ford Swap IE Zetec using a second hand engine and £1800 to 2K for a new engine. I did all the sums before doing mine and £1200 is best I could do. That said by selling all the your old parts/Engine that are no longer required (Running Pinto £200, Parts for pinto you have accumulated etc) plus bits off the zetec that you don't need, you can bring the cost down.

things you need other than Engine.

Short sump £250-£550 depending (Although know 2b owners who use std sump)

Spark controller if running carbs £280 (megajolt or equivalent)

Bike carbs £150

Inlet Manifold £200

alternator bracket & Idler pulley £90

Engine Mounts £60 - 80

Crap Plate (covers hole left when zetec mated to Type 9 )

Spigot Bearing £10

Thrust Bearing £40

with oil, pipes, Plugs ETC Plus other bits I have missed you can see why I would say not to budget less than £1200 min.

regards

Keith

Edited by unclechief

Guest 2b cruising

I have already spent well in excess of a grand on engine and parts for my z20 swap.

Still some heavy spending to do. ECU, exhaust etc.

Quite expensive but I think will be worth it for next year.

Staying with DOHC for this season. Still good fun and cheap to.