Top Notch Customer Service

tractor

cant fault customer service from car builder solutions purchased a set of there gauges last week and couldn't get the speedo to work so rang them this morning they asked me a couple of basic questions and no problem a new one will be sent out and should be with me tomorrow

• Like 1

cant fault customer service from car builder solutions purchased a set of there gauges last week and couldn't get the speedo to work so rang them this morning they asked me a couple of basic questions and no problem a new one will be sent out and should be with me tomorrow

told you you wouldnt have an issue always been good

Guest Howtightpet

I have bought loads of gear off these guys over the years and have never had a problem over quality or delivery and are very helpful.

Tractor. What are there gauge kits like saw them on line and a project for after stoneleigh

Guest Jameslark

Quite agree, just lucky they are within driving distance from home. Again have bought loads from them and always top notch service and welcome when you vist

well the new gauge turned up today and I fitted it and it is exactly the same nothing happens I have wired it to the wiring instructions provided by cbs so I can only think that the diagram is wrong !!!!

Which signal wire type are you using? The white or green wire?

The hall effect sensor is an active type of sensor which has three wires attached, +12 supply (which goes to the white wire on this speedometer), ground and signal out (which is fed back into the speedometer on the green wire)

If you are using the signal from the ECU, the white wire is not used. This is also true for a magnetic induction type sensor. Only the hall type is an active type which needs power.

The others are obvious. You should get illumination when you apply power to the yellow and ground the black wire etc. Start there.

The speedometer must also have the ground connected for the hall effect sensor to work (which has its own ground too)

Is that how you connected it up? Does the hall sensor have a tell tale flashing light to show it's working? (Mine did)

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

0025524_digital-speedo-signal-adapter-2_150.jpegthis is wot I am using it connects to speedo cable and has three wires red positive black earth and white signal

I would have thought even with this not connected the gauge would still illuminate

Edited by tractor

I just noticed that the signal types are mentioned on the diagram just under the picture. These are kind of difficult to measure unless your meter can measure frequency. (you also need some means to make the sensor "think" the car is moving too)

The hall effect sensor will produce a 1.0 volt output when stationary and jump to over 8 volts with it in motion. you "may" see the meter flicker somewhere between these values. You might also be able to read (an average) with the meter set to "AC volts"

The magnetic "PUCK UP" (sic) meaning "pick up" produces (generates) an AC signal going from +1 to -1 volts, I.e. LESS THAN chassis ground as it oscillates around zero volts. Set the meter to AC to see anything with this type of meter (it HAS to be moving to generate any signal at all)

To really diagnose time varying signals like this, an oscilloscope is the tool you really need, so if you know someone who has one (and knows how to work it :) ) it would be the way to go.

Do you go to the South Yorks Meets or are you too far away?

Simon.

(You posted while I was writing :)

It looks like the device is an active type hall effect sensor since it has the three wires to provide the power.

The red +ve should connect to the white wire on the speedometer

the ground black can go to nearby chassis and the

white signal from the sensor should go to the green wire on the speedometer.

Are you connecting the white wires together? That is probably your mistake (I can understand that you might think white -> white, but not in this case)

Simon.

+--------------------------------+----------------------------------+

| sensor | speedo |

| red | white |

| black (chassis) | black (Chassis) |

| white | green |

Edited by Simon B

no I haven't connected white wires together white wire from speed sensor goes to green wire on back of speedo and the white wire from speedo is not connected to anything

Edited by tractor

It's possible that the speedo is confused if you do NOT connect the white wire, it may think it is connected to a different type of sensor.

It may NEED the white wire to be connected in order to sense that a hall device is being used. If it is left unconnected, there is no current flow and the meter may be trying to use either the magentic pick up or the ECU type which have different types of signal.

The white wire from the speedo is the +12 volt supply to the hall effect device. You should be able to measure a +12 volts between this and the chassis. So if you tied this up, it must be isolated from the chassis. It should really be connected to the hall device power though as this is fed from the switched supply through the speedo electronics.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B