When Do Brake Discs Fail Mot Or Get Advisory

agent_zed

So GF went and bought a car without me (did alright in fairness 12month parts and labour warranty) i am a bit concerned though that although it has a 12month MOT it should not have been given one or at least advisorys on all our brake discs.

Each one has deep ridges and a lip and also the rears have parts of the disc that aren't being cleared. Certainly not smooth like the 2b or bmw.

I changed ones that i reckon were better on her last car that failed the MOT due to grooves.

What is the rule for that?

If its an MOT failure i will be asking them to replace them and potentially reporting the MOT garage (not even an advisory given), but i might be wrong so wanted clarification.

thanks

Guest chris brown

As snapper says as long as it passes the test on the break tester and visually the pads have in excess of 3 mm they pass (the 3 mm is if the tester can see the pads if not the benefit of the doubt has to be given but most testers would advise)

Guest 2b cruising

If you feel unsure or nervous about the brakes, just change them.

With the back ones not clearing the disc evenly, this is quite common on rear brakes

As said by snapper disc wear limits are covered in Haynes manual.

Quick guide to pad wear limmit. If you can see the pad amount that is left, make sure it is at least as thick as the pad metal back plate. If down lower than this it's time to change

With regards to the bumpiness of the discs. This usually happens (a) if the pads used are to hard a compound for normal road use.

(B) if the previouse owner has in the past let the pads wear down to the metal and renewed pads only.

If this is the case you should change the discs next time you change the pads. Never change the discs without changing pads.

Finally. The old rule about working on brakes. Always do to one side as you have done to the other.

Forgot to mention. Make sure the sliders on your calipers are free to move. This could be the cause of funny rear brake wear.

The rear brakes never have the same power in them as the fronts under normal use.

HTH. Ken

Edited by 2b cruising

Online MOT Inspection Manual Rules

http://www.motinfo.g...m4i00000001.htm

Brakes can be found under section 3. Discs and pads are under 3.5 Mechanical Brake Components.

As said before if your not happy with them change them out for a new set, all it going to cost you is the price of the part and a couple of hours of your time. Job done ;)

thanks. I guess by the sound of it then they are MOT passable. Assuming min-thickness of disc is ok (will check with micrometer).

Pads seem to have enough left on them i was just wondering about the ridges as had to change discs due to mot failure on last car. But then that might be the last garage trying it on as they wanted £190 to change the rear discs/pads. Cost us £50 an ~1 hour to do.

They work well and don't seem to be warped or grinding or anything so perhaps will get my local garage (who i trust) to have a look as well just to be sure.

thanks

Guest peter2b2002

whatcar is it ,for the last 2mots I had advise the both front discs were worn, changed them last mot £_45 from euro parts with the rhocar discount took 45 mins to change them that was on my mondeo mind you it did take me 1 1/2 hrs to do an oil change most of that time was getting to the filter

peter2b

Be grateful you dont have a diesel Kuga....I just changed the oil & filter in my sons.

It took 3 hours to figure a way to undo the filter cap.

it is absolutely buried under loadsa important looking stuff.

I ended up having to buy a 27mm ring spanner, cutting it in half, & turning it

one notch at a time. Then the cap wouldnt come out...no room.

so I had to wedge it out of the way, & prise out the element.

Then wiggle the new element in while holding the cap up while I couldnt get 2 hands in.

I wont be offering again....not that I offered this time!

The Diesel engine in the Ford Kuga is a Peugeot unit. Service time about 2 hours for the whole car

A 27mm socket and a long extension bar will get the filter housing undone.To get the old filter and housing out from the engine bay you need to remove the large

intercooler intake pipe off then push it out of the way to one side. Something to remember for the next time Bob ;)

Hi Chris,

thats what I thought too before taking it on.

I looked on Youtube & figured I could do it no problem.

But his car is a very recent one & they have changed the entire front

manifoldy thing at the front of the engine. Emissions I guess?

Bob