Insider Information

ibrooks

Guest timswait

I'm not sure that being on the same side as the Americans is such as good thing judging by their navigational skills! A few months ago an F15E accidentally dropped a bomb on Yorkshire. Luckily it was only a little practice one and made an 18 inch diameter crater in some field somewhere. Bet someone got a *bleep*ing for that!

I'm currently doing an industrial placement at Airbus in Bremen, so another BAe related worker.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill

Well when I was on Jaguars at Lossiemouth (Scotland) one of our aircraft dropped its Brake parachute cone on Forres high street :wub: :wub:

It would have given someone a really bad day :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

Guest Captain Daz

I'm not BAe but I am in the field.

The Yanks are always getting it wrong. Not because they're rubbish. They have great kit (millitary or civil) but they're just so gash (flying term for someone who thinks cool is better than correct). When they are supposed to read back a clearance over the radio the common reply is 'roger that'. Sounds cool but hides the fact they may have not taken down the clearance properly. Hence B52 at Blackbushe and an airliner that should have landed at Frankfurt ended up at Brussells. That's not even in the same country for goodness sake. No wonder they kill so many of our lads out in operations.

Worst Yank radio transmission:

ATC"Reach 123 call established on ILS".

Reach123 "Roger"

Reach123 "Tower, we are on the majic beam, dunlops dangling, ready to glide and slide"

Don't talk to me about yanks!

Cheers

Daren

PS Usual disclaimer about not tarring eveyone with the same brush, I'm don't hate them, Take each person as you find them etc, etc.

Guest Phil Slater

In a similar vein:

This is a transcript of an actual radio conversation between an American Warship and the Canadian Coastguard recorded in 1997.

Warship This is the USS Eisenhower, we have you on radar, you are on a collision course with us. Please change your heading 10 degrees south.

Coastguard USS Eisenhower, this is the Canadian Coastguard, you are on a collision course with US. Please change your heading 10 degrees north.

Warship Canadian Coastguard, let me repeat, this is Aircraft Carrier USS Eisenhower, change your course 10 degrees south to avoid collision course.

Coastguard USS Eisenhower, WE repeat, you are on a collision course with us, change your course10 degrees north.

Warship This is the captain of United States Ship Eisenhower, I order you to change course 10 degrees south immediately.

Coastguard Captain of Eisenhower, we will not change course, I request that you change course 10 degrees North.

Warship Canadian Coastguard, I am the captain of USS Eisenhower, the second largest ship in the American Northern Atlantic Fleet, we have a complement of 2000 crew, 68 fast attack jets, 4 helicopter gunships and are supported by 3 fully armed battleships, 4 frigates and numerous support craft. I order you by command of President of the United States to change course immediately.

Coastguard USS Eisenhower, this is a lighthouse......your call.

:p :p :p :p

Guest Captain Daz

Yet another.....

At altitude flying over the atlantic at night it is usual to see satelites whizzing overhead. One night a yank called up on the chat frequency to ask what they were. When informed he then asked if they traced the same route around the earth. As the reply was yes some do, there was silence for a few seconds. He then asked 'I wonder if they hit their own wake' (turbulence created by a craft moving through the air). He must have felt dumb when someone pointed out that there is no air in space.

The worst bit is that this is from an airline pilot. I wonder how dumb the dumb ones are?

and another...

Some colleagues of mine trained in the USA. When chatting in a bar one night to some girls one of the yanks said 'Gee guys I really love your accent and all but can you stop it now' :blink:

Cheers

Daren