Air Filter Intake

jaimo

Wondering whether to cut bonnet scoop into bonnet for air feed to carb air filter as really needs air I would prefer some sort of plenum chamber to fit on top of carb weber 32/36 and then a cool air pipe into nose cone with cone filter on end but don't know how to make one and don't really want to pay £70 for a plenum then pip then filter prob near £100 when finished but its what I want lol anyone made there own or other ideas

Edited by jaimo

Guest 2b cruising

Convoluted hose off eBay with the same inner diameter as the top of your carb.

Even if your carb top is oval, use circumference measurement.

Then look at cone air filters, don't go paying really stupid money on K&N. Same things for under £20.

If you watched the vid, don't be miss lead, they were doing it on a turbo engined car which would seriously raise the air temp even with an intercooler when the car is static. Manifold temp would have been pretty much the same no matter how they fed it with air.

You still would not get a massive gain but more than they did.

I did it on my ford DOHC because of temp problems with a crowded nose cone. It made the world of difference in both performance and economy.

The main thing with mine though was the over heating. It has gone from running at the top of the gauge marked H. To the middle marked N.

This of coarse added vastly to the reliability and longevity of the engine life.

Guest mower man

I ran a 145 horse 2.1 in an s3 with a 38 dgas and used a std pancake k+n at £55 but had side vents and a vented bonnet, clearance was a little tight but using c/sink screws for holding the cleaner on instead of dome headed nuts resolved this , there is a proper weber plenum if you want to stuff the cone filter up the nose but if you have the std vertical rad getting a hose to the filter may be iffy . the filter on mine was no higher than the oil filler cap. By all means cut the bonnet and scoop it or just let the filter poke through and pull fresh air. The cheap chinese cones on ebay are crap and fall to pieces very quickly , the old addage do it right and you only do it once still applies , there are lots of seven type vehicles running around with out bonnet scoops ,will seeyou on wednesday mick :acute: :crazy:

Guest 2b cruising

My 2b uses the standard vertical rad and has just enough room To get the convoluted tubing past the side of it.

So far I have done lots of miles and my cheep filter is still like new. I give it quite some stick most times I drive it to.

The filter medium is put together just the same as K&N captive in a gauze cage. If it does eventually break up, it cannot go anywhere into the engine.

The same as any European or even Yankee parts. Mention the word tuning or racing and the price rockets.

Ok if you have lots of money and are fashion conscious. Otherwise thrifty but SAFE is the way to go. ie I would not use any such braking parts unless prior proven good.

In my younger days the saying used to be Jap crap. They have certainly taught us a thing or two since then!

Guest mower man

What sold K+N to me some 25 years or more ago was people using them on rallycross/auto cross cars and the ability to clean them ,also the fact that they were developed for the plant industry in dump trucks excavators etc and I have used them since ,prices vary vastly on the bay I got an induction system for my MX for £60 but the same thing was listed at £225 2 pages further on! .on my seven the filter was up to 30,000 m and only been cleaned once after venturing into the infield car park at Donnington , we all have our own likes /dislikes my listed ops on here and other forums are based on previous experience mick

Like mick I prefer to use parts made by well known companies. You may well able to save a bit of cash on something that looks ok but I know that if I have a problem I can stilll get hold of the company and that they have to protect their good name with good customer service. As mick said, each to their own.

When you say convoluted tube. where are people getting this from? internet/local garden centre that sell fishponds etc? before I go on a search around the net?

Cheers

Nige