2.0L Pinto - Breathing Heavy Or Normal?

Guest Boost

Guest Boost

Not ever having a pinto engined car I'm not sure if the engine is breathing heavy or this is normal.

After a run out there is a fine sort of smoke mist comes from the engine, looking more closely is appears to be coming from the oil filler cap breather.

Oil pressure is good a about 40/50 psi.

IS this normal for a pinto or does it need some TLC?

Any advise comments please..

Pintos do breath quite heavy but as long as drive OK and pressure is good all is okayask biskz he has got a catch tank with a filter on looks like a steam engine when engine running and bonnet off smoke chugging out quite amusing I keep telling him cut hole in bonnt for a chimney lol

Baffled tank is better with wire wool filter in the top of the tank to catch oil and let condensation blow off

Some run block and rocker together and T off to catch tank

There is a second block takeoff on the right rear under the exhaust that can be used as a second crankcase breather or Catchtank drain back

Guest Gargoil

There's a great little diagram on Burton's web site.http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/engine-breather-system.html

Guest Boost

Thanks Guys, Looks like it just needs the breathers piping up and a baffle under the oil filler cap, as its being moved to nearer the rear of the motor to allow bonnet to fit I assume.

There are several ways to do this

Some run the crank breather to the rocker and the rocker to a catch tank

Others pipe crank case and rocker to catch tank seperately

The engine has to breath and the crank pressurised whilst the rocker cover through the breather/ filler cap should suck in.

With a PCV valve the crank case is only vented when the engine has crank case pressure higher than manifold

I.e. On idle the valve is closed, manifold pressure is negative, when running with wider throttle opening manifold pressure is neutral and valve is open allowing crank case gasses to be pushed into manifold, drawn through the engine and burned.

If it was the other way round you would only loose crank case pressure at idle and build pressure on a run

Guest mower man

pull the pcv out of the block and bin it ,obtain 90 deg adapter from rally design and run to catch tank, fit a straight pipe to cam box and run to catch tank[ needs to be 1 litre ,]breather on catch tank job done mick

Guest mower man

I some times post a little rubbish but mostly it is direct experience from over half a century of knucle busting ,spanner bending on things from lawn mowers to 40 ton cranes and not forgetting 12 years of hoodie wrestling most is the uncommon thing called sense , other bits a pure guess work, pintos breath even when new , they leak if they cant breath and I hate oil leaks , they o heat if fitted with less than good equipment even if you only tour with them never mind spanking them , some of the stuff the grass track and banger guys do is uncoventional but given the conditions they workin its good stuff :crazy: mick