Temp Gauge Not Reading Correctly

Guest Jonnyround2003

Hi Jonny,

There are two types of Smiths gauges, moving coil and moving magnet. Or put another way, simple and not so simple. The simple ones just need a regulated voltage on the B terminal and then the other terminal goes to the sender. The not so simple ones need a regulated voltage on the B terminal and the body of the gauge wired to earth. (This biases the meter and stops the needle flopping about). The other terminal then goes to the sender. If your gauge is of this type and you don't connect the body to earth then you will get wild readings. However, as mentioned already if the sender and gauge don't match you won't very good readings.

Nige

Guest 2b cruising

Switch for fan is on thermo housing.

Sensor for management is the three wire plug just behind the fan switch. If you have injection.

Sensor for gauge is just behind that on the drivers right hand side of engine.

I have been searching myself at the wiering diagrams but cannot find which is the relay for the engine fan.

Fords name all the fuses but not the bloody relays. I've been pulling my hair out looking for it.

Anyone help?

You have a cooling fan switch (heat operated). It has a black wire supplying it and two black reds coming from it which go to the twin fans it used to have. Ignition is activates the radfan relay and that black supply to the rad fan switch becomes live. So connect a voltmeter/bulb/whatever to that black wire and complete a circuit to earth. Now switch on ignition. Voltmeter registers/bulb lights/whatever. Start pulling relays and replacing them till you find one(maybe more) that cut the power to the black wire. If your are lucky its just the one relay and thats the fan relay.

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Nige and thanks for info.

On mine there are supposed to be two relays, one for low speed and the other for high speed.

There is then a 5 terminal switch on the thermo housing to do the two jobs.

Must have two bye metal strips of differing values in the switch or similar.

I fiddled with it this morning and found that crossing any of the 5 terminals in the plug, except for the two together, the fan started working.

Did nothing else to it except put the plug back on.

My gauge is now more irratic than it was before, could be air in system by switch. However the fan is now working.

I must have unstuck something, maybe a set of points in a relay.

I read a little more into the subject today and found the cosworth switch, same as mine, was a week link with the fans being in use for long periods. Burton now do a more reliable switch especially for hard working engines.

As mine had a bad overheating problem last year I think this might have been my problem.

The switch itself was ok on testing last year but could easily have been on its last legs.

I am off on a run out tomorrow so will see how everything goes.

Edited by 2b cruising