Car Won't Start !

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

Went to start my dohc this morning started fine then noticed was running faster than usual like the choke was on so pushed the throttle to see if it would drop but stayed the same ? Tried tuning if off but now I can't get it started aaahhh it's been fine for ages turns over but won't fire up !!

OK if it's ticking over fast on idle chances are there is an air leek on inlet side

site check all vacuumed hoses or any pipes coming from inlet manifold

second if you hold throttle to the floor does it start then -don't pump it just hold it to the floor

Please let us know the answers

TA

Guest 2b cruising

I had the fast running fault on my DOHC.

Yesterday I changed the idle control valve for one I knew was good but no improvement.

Cleaned all the bits on the tps and all was good.

Never had none start problem though.

Need to know fuelling type before can diagnose fault.

Guest 2b cruising

Obvious enough things first then.

Have you got a spark at the plugs. Loose leads on ign system or ecu.

Are your two management fuses still good. Cannot remember numbers but in lid of fuse box. Good to check all fuses anyway.

Does your pump run for a few seconds when you first turn ignition on. Fuse or feed wire.

Are you getting fuel into your fuel rail. Blocked one of two filters.

Any lose cables on coil or management cables. Clean and fit tight.

Is there an immobiliser that does not stop your engine turning over. ie hidden switch.

Go through these first and let me know.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Jonnyround2003

Really struggling I have fuel and spark runs over but won't fire ! Checked all fuses cables all look fine still can't understand why it ran like the choke was full on when I first started it now won't start possibly flooded

Dohc injection petrol I have

Yoda_Empire_Strikes_Back.png

Fear Ford is the path to the dark DOHC side. Fear Ford leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering Starting issues! :)

Just a thought but is there a chance that your cam belt could have slipped. My pinto slipped a couple of teeth on the belt when my tensioner came loose. Would not start at all as timing was wrong. You would still have spark and fuel but not at the right time.

Second thought ...I don't know much about injection but had a feeling that they have additional advance dialed in to start them ( i guess similar to vac advance on a carb setup) as above is there a vac pipe that has come off that is no longer telling the ecu that it needs more advance to start?

May the ford be with you ;)

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

If you have 4 compressions forget the chain for now.

I know the plugs are one awkward buggers to get out but that's what you need to do.

Remove fuel pump fuse then turn the engine over a good few turns. If you have a compression tester news the time to do it.

If not you should hear a good rush of air from each cylinder. You can even see if you can reach the plug hole with your finger and see if it gets blown off. If when you first turn over with your plugs out, and you get lots of fuel squirting out, it could mean stuck open injectors. I've mentioned this as you say it seemed like choke was stuck on.

Test the plugs for a spark by fitting the leads and earthing out the plug casing against any earth point you can get to with it.

if you have no spark at the plugs, did you check for spark at your coil lead. If so your rotor arm could be faulty.

Try these and get back to me.

OK there is a micro switch on top of the throttle butterfly -if this does not click shut the car won't start

since you have a high tick over is it possible the throttle is not fully closing keeping the micro switch open -