Calling Any Fiberglass Gurus!

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Right, another cock to add to my list. Tonight I drilled the hole for my fuel filler cap, in the wrong place.... Not entirely my fault! The fiberglass rear body has a small simple cast into it which is the witness mark for the pilot hole for the fuel filler cap. So I drilled the 2" hole and then realized because my car is a one off with a different design fuel tank the body casting mark for the fuel filler is a bit off, my hole needs to move up around 2 inches to get it in line, currently there is a bit of an offset but with the Short distance between the tank and filler I don't think flex pipe will do it

So how do I repair the hole in the fibreglass so I can have another go? I have never worked with fibreglass in my life, except fibreglass filler which I don't think will work in this case. A few photos of my cockup

AB902C6F-A7BC-455A-A994-8B88B228BC3D_zps

593CCDB9-FF27-4F42-9453-E4C6915A4E65_zps

i would use a releasable patch over the out side of the whole give it two coats of gelcoat on the inside the cut a couple of layers of fibreglass to the shape of the whole then one layer of glass an inch bigger than the whole leave to dry then take off the patch on the outside a little fettling and you would never know

• Like 2

best thing to do is drill hole again in correct posistion then using plastic stuck from underneath to blank round the unused hole then from top skim using fibreglass then sand smooth and paint colour required

shame your not closer as bodywork as long as its not welding is one of my limited skills

Guest mcramsay

The only issue is the required hole is only half the diameter away from where the hole is now! So the two are going to overlap so I need to fix the mistake one before trying again I will get some flex hose and try that you never know, I don't know how flexible ultra flexible is!

Guest Pauljordan

Listen to uncle Tractor..... He know you know!! Not worth a bodge at this stage. Go on have confidence you can do it. But remember.......measure twice cut once.

PJ

Plus one for listen to Tractor....

I only have 13 years in the composites trade so same as a tractor, only limited experience. ;)

P.s. chamfer the inner corner to aid the last plies transition from new to old.

Furniture wax makes a good release agent to use on the localised mould you'll need to make.

If you want advice on making a splash mould just ask.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Follow the tractor.

You know it makes sense and will pull you out of the carp.

If your tank and panel are in the correct possition, it might be an idea to draw lines to where your filler centre is now just above and below and both sides,

When repair done, join the line until they cross and you will have centre of where your new hole needs to be.

No measuring blind just straight lines required. Not indelible marker though.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest mcramsay

Ok so going on tractors advice... An outer removalble panel,... Like a bit of ally sheet that can be put over the hole? With release agent on the inner surface? The panel is completely flat so it won't need bending to fit the contours of the panel,

Why do I need to use gel coat? If so how do I apply it to the under side of the removable patch? Would you gel cost directly onto the release agent on the patch?

Finally how many laminations of glass sheet? Until I make up the thickness of the original fibreglass?

Also does this all get done in one go? As you can see I have no experience at all, and I wasn't questioning any one else's in any way, just looking at all my options, ideally I want to move the cap rather than try to bend a hose to fit.