Surrey/kent Engineering Firm

nelmo

I need to get my air inlet manifold sanded down, after having hacked off the main bit.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ev6tVHxmgjU1xBC59

Does anyone know a small firm or something in Surrey/Kent/Sussex who might do this cheaply?

I can send it off to GBS but it will end up costing £40 with postage and I haven't quite got the courage to do it myself with just a single file available to me.

Just remembered how I used to remove cylinder head imperfections

in pre-electricity days

A thick sheet of glass, or flat iron plate, place a sheet of wet&dry on top

(grit side uppermost!) & slide the part back & forth until you have a uniform

shine all across it.

I wasnt the only one that did this....

Edited by Bob Tucker

Hmm, they're only 30 minutes from me. Problem is, the manifold is only plastic (air inlet on a Zetec) and I've contacted a similar firm who weren't interested (well, they never replied to my email). I'll give them a go...

Would prefer to do it myself but my history with straight filing is not good and I don't want to get this wrong, otherwise I'll have air gaps round the Plenum. I've got some instant gasket - will that do as well for hiding any imperfections?

Hmm, they're only 30 minutes from me. Problem is, the manifold is only plastic (air inlet on a Zetec) and I've contacted a similar firm who weren't interested (well, they never replied to my email). I'll give them a go...

Would prefer to do it myself but my history with straight filing is not good and I don't want to get this wrong, otherwise I'll have air gaps round the Plenum. I've got some instant gasket - will that do as well for hiding any imperfections?

Okay, get the rasping tool on it. Leave a few mm proud. Hold in a vice, get a rough sanding paper, wrap around a 2 x 2 wood and sand down slowly. swap for finer paper as you progress. Job done in 30mins.

Okay, get the rasping tool on it. Leave a few mm proud. Hold in a vice, get a rough sanding paper, wrap around a 2 x 2 wood and sand down slowly. swap for finer paper as you progress. Job done in 30mins.

Precision engineering at its best.