Securing Spare Wheel

Guest Knownothing

Guest Knownothing

Back again to pick your brains.

My spare is currently secured by two lengths of threaded rod which pass through the spare wheel and rear panel with nuts at each end to keep it tight. It could do with tidying up a bit. Just wondering how others have secured their spares.

Cheers

Rich

On a slightly different tack -- we don't carry a spare wheel -- just a can of tyre gunge -- which in 4 years & 40,000 miles we haven't needed. Not saying don't have a spare but asking what is the "shelf life" of this can of goo.

I remember Big Jim, who worked for the highways agency for a time, saying that the had a running bet on the first time any of them attended a motorway breakdown where a can of goo had worked. If the tyre goes at speed it is so wreked by the time you stop that nothing will revive it. A slow puncture that you find the next day might be diferent.

I can only repeat what Ian has just said, if your tyre goes down at speed suddenly, gunge will not solve it, You either need a spare (but please don't change an O/S wheel on the motorway, or you need to get recovered and then sort it out at a garage.

Gunge will also ruin your tyre, At best it's only at "get you home" thing, once home you'll need to get a new tyre.

I remember Big Jim, who worked for the highways agency for a time

Only 44 more shifts to do then I retire, have already started to work on the Hood to get it back on the road.

Edited by Big Jim
  • Like 2

Guest mower man

We bought a new tin top it came with no jack,wheel brace, or spare wheel NOOOOOO!!!! altered this, got space saver wheel and tyre jack wheel brace , spare wheel retaining bolt etc for 120quidish the orig supplied compressor /tin of caca still rides with the car . As above usually the tyre is beyond help if any thing happens on the road mick

Guest 2b cruising

On a slightly different tack -- we don't carry a spare wheel -- just a can of tyre gunge -- which in 4 years & 40,000 miles we haven't needed. Not saying don't have a spare but asking what is the "shelf life" of this can of goo.

Never stuck for things to say are you Bob.

Couldn't afford 5 wheels when building Florin -- have to keep a look-out for one.

I've got 5 Arays, with near new Michelin Sport 3s on if you would like them. Clean, virtually unmarked.

195:50:15. et15 pcd108.

Edited by 2b cruising