Timing Belt Cover For 1.6 Pinto Long Stroke. Sierra Instrument Cluster

dandan62

My Rh came with the usual missing timing cover which I would like to replace. I bought one off ebay which seems too short and will not fit. I am pretty sure that this is because its the LS engine. Does this make sense anybody? If anybody has one and has no need for it I would be interested.

Also my speedo is playing up. Waving needle and odometer not working. The speedo spindle feels uneven and the cable seems ok and would be a nightmare to replace as it disappears up the tunnel. So a discarded 1985 Sierra 1.6 cluster would be dead handy. Any offers?

Guest 2b cruising

Speedo is more than likely the cable.

With the tunnel being so narrow, the bend at the cable to box joint is to tight.

Cables very often brake and it is very common on Robin hoods for the wavy speedo reading.

Some people re route the cable inside the cabin hiding it against the chassis rail and covering with carpet.

Then they bore a hole through the side of the tunnel and fit the cable to the box in a straight line.

Others fit a 90' drive unit. (Very expensive).

Other one is to fit an electronic gauge and pick up off the prop bolts.

Head units do come up on the bay but are getting quite rare.

Many thanks for the help. Yes I may well end up following that route. I thought I would try the easy option first. The speedo does run steady sometimes but the odo does not change so I was going for the new cluster first. I will keep an eye on ebay. Meantime its the phone app that keeps me under the speed limit!

Guest Richard7

post-2435-0-76723700-1457096942_thumb.jpgpost-2435-0-39340700-1457096943_thumb.jpgpost-2435-0-95665900-1457096943_thumb.jpgHere you go dandan62.

This is my instrument cluster removed from my Robin Hood S7 when I went over to individual instruments, so it already has the front curve shape chopped off so it will fit straight in to your S7. It originally came out of an "A-reg" (1983) 1600cc Pinto engined Ford Sierra. As you can see there is the proper electrical plug and a couple of inches of cable included. All bulbs are fitted. Yours for £20 including 3 day Postage & packaging. Unfortunately the little plunger for zeroing the trip counter is missing. I did have a home-made perspex screen for this but I have removed it and glued it to an instrument cluster out of a 1800cc Sierra because it had got a rev counter. As shown below.

post-2435-0-96502900-1457097471_thumb.jpgpost-2435-0-56660400-1457097472_thumb.jpg

You can have this instrument for £20 if you would prefer. This does have its plunger for zeroing the trip counter, but its bulbs are missing. As can be seen it also has propper plug and many inches of wire-loom.

leave the outer cable cover attached (as it makes it a lot easier not having to dismantle and remove the speedo cable from the Gbox) and pull out the inner cable. rub it down with some wire-wool or a scourer and regrease with lithium grease. Slide it back down the cable cover and attach the speedo and it shoud run nice and smooth. You will have to turn the cable and push when it is almost completely back in to get the square end to find the hole for the speedo drive.

hth

Just to tidy this thread up and impart some possible useful knowledge, the wavey speedo turned out to be a sticking odometer mechanism. I thought it felt a little uneven when turning by hand. A fiddle with the mechanism and a satisfying click as it went back into place and the thing works smooth as anything now! No drilling to replace the cable thankfully. I have a nice spare cluster now as well. Always useful and managed to harvest new bulbs.

Thanks for all the other offers.