Headrests Fitted.

dandan62

Still very new to all this but I thought would post my headrest mod. My s7 came with the original Rh seats and I have always been bothered with the lack of headrests in case of a rear shunt. New seats opened up a host of issues. Mainly the distance between steering wheel and seat which is only just sufficient to drive. I have raised it as much as it will go without changing the dash. Also I'm a cheapskate!

So I bought a leather pair of Ka headrests for a tenner. The stalks fit perfectly into 15mm chrome pipe. I bolted the pipes to the bulkhead behind the seat and through 2 chrome pipe brackets which are bolted to the cross member which runs behind to seat tops. Hey presto! A little crimp in the pipes and they are fully height adjustable and the tonneau cover even fits. Will try and post some pics if anyone interested.

This may be amateur stuff to the majority but I'm quite chuffed!

Still lots of cosmetic work to do on the car but it runs very sweetly.

• Like 1

Guest Gargoil

Would like to see this.

Pictures when you can.

:good:

BTW there's plenty of experts on the forum, but just as many enthusiastic amateurs.

I'm going to be changing a brake master cylinder soon, never done it before, seen it on Youtube, what could go wrong?

No, don't answer that.......

Here are some pictures of the headrests. Hopefully you can see the method. I realize that I need to beef up the fixings with some proper bolts etc because I only used self tappers just to prove the fitting would work.

post-13705-0-78722800-1467039344_thumb.jpg

post-13705-0-50153400-1467039345_thumb.jpg

post-13705-0-18448700-1467039346_thumb.jpg

Don't wish to knock your efforts -- BUT -- are the 2 brackets ( per h/rest ) the only fixing? If so the tubes/brackets will give way or is there additional tube/bar thats not shown in pictures?

Guest 2b cruising

I think Bob is right.

The leverage put on just the two brackets will be to weak to hold them with the weight of you head being pushed into them by a sudden stop or something like that.

You could do with another pair of brackets lower down mate.

Hope you don't take offence at any such suggestions.

Regards, Ken.

Yes, he's said he has bolted up the tubes in 2 places, bulkhead and crossmember. My concern would be if the copper tube would resist the forces put on it. BUT, I think this is what kits are about, coming up with ideas, putting them into practice and then improving them either on your own or with advice.

Well done on coming up with the idea!! Looks good with the headrests in place.

Is that really copper pipe? that will only be cosmetic at best, will not withstand the force of a 5kg head in a 10g impact situation (numbers plucked from the air).

I hope it's steel. If not, £5 will get you a decent bit of stainless solid bar. Solid is overkill, but it was the first thing i found! Cheap safety.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-15mm-Round-Bar-Rod-304-Grade-Choose-Length-/130657369506

Edited by Grim

Thanks for all the suggestions. All taken on board. Yes there are 2 fixing points on each tube. Both will be beefed up. The copper pipe was handy when I came up with the idea and i will replace with some steel tube as suggested. At the moment I think any headrest is better than none. It feels solid and the final version will be more so.

• Like 1

Guest Gargoil

I remember back in the day (oh, it's all going misty, Mildred), when headrests weren't standard on all cars, but you could buy one for your seat from the places that existed before Halfords. It hung over the front and back of the backrest and the only thing keeping it in place was your own bodyweight.

This is definitely an improvement over that.

:good:

Edited by Gargoil