Non Starter

Del1968

Why is it when you sort one problem out you encounter another one car won't start now after I sorted the nor stopping issue it will start from a jump start but if tho not enough from key starter just clicks like if the battery flat

First thing to check is your earths, should be one to body from the battery and one from the battery to the engine, preferably to the starter mounting bolt. Both should be to a clean contact and tight.

checked the earth leads all nice and tight and good earth totaly at a loss now everything works volt meter showing 12v is a little juddery and when i put my lights on volts drop right down could it be the alternator not charging the battery

Guest lotusPaul

Charge battery.clean terminals and reconnect. Check all power and earth leads.if you can, put a jump lead from the engine block to the batt neg, this acts as a good earth.

Let me know the outcome.

Sounds very much like you have run the battery flattish whilst fiddling. 'Jump and it starts' tends to confirm that. Charge up the battery overnight and try again tomorrow.

Once the engine is running set it at a fast idle of about 1500rpm and measure the voltage across the battery terminals. If 14v ± 0.3 then the alternator is sound. Battery may be sound and run down or faulty.

Might also be useful to switch to ammeter function on you multimeter, switch off ignition, disconnect the positive battery terminal and put the multimeter across from positive terminal to lead to see if your repairs have created a constant battery drain which may be flattening the battery. With every thing switched off there should be virtually no current in a car of our type.

Nigel

I find that modern batteries often don't 'gracefully degrade' any more, they tend to fail catastrophically. I have had 2 recently that were fine until one day they were flat and even after charging up overnight only lasted 2 days before they were flat again.