E-Max Engine

Guest DAVE1954

From the web:

At the beginning of 1984, Ford Pinto engine displacement range switched from 1.3/1.6/2.0 to 1.6/1.8/2.0. The newly introduced 1.8 L engine used the 2.0 L crankshaft, so to uniform engine parts for the whole range after dropping the 1.3 L — the 1.6 L was redesigned to also take the 2.0 L crankshaft which had a 76.2 mm (3.00 in) stroke. This of course led to bringing the bore down to 81.0 mm (3.19 in) to keep the displacement within range — it was now 1598 cc. The TL16E became now the only available 1.6 L engine of the Pinto range. Although the compression ratio was raised to 9.5:1, the power figures did not differ much from the earlier TL16H version — the engine developed 56 kW (75 hp) of power and 123 N·m (91 ft·lbf) of torque. This engine is sometimes referred to as 1.6 E-Max engine.

You should be able to identify the age of your engine from the engine number. If it's after 1984 it's an e-max one

Guest Ian & Carole

Thanks for you reply, it's got 165 on block, is this a better engine than the older 1.6.ones. Cheers. Dave

The early blocks were just 16, 20.

The later stronger blocks were cast 165 , 205.

Can I highjack this thread and ask what my 1.6 is? I have always assumed it is the emax as it is from a 1985 Sierra. The engine number has LS in it so I assume it is the longer stroke engine. However the block has 164 cast into it. This has always confused me. Any clues?