Engne Swap

Guest alland3851

Guest alland3851

Hi, I would like to change the engine in my S7. Currently fitted with a 2.0l pinto and would like a more modern unit. Has anyone done this, and what would be a good alternative with the least amount changes.

Thanks

Guest lotusPaul

As above,depending on your skills,out look and funds not to mention how much power you want. All factors to be considered. Also consider your current transmission and would you want to keep it? That can be a limitation in itself.

So, I'd say firstly the zetec,Silver or Blacktop will presumably be the obvious choice but the intake and exhaust are on opposites from a pinto. A Duratec puts them back on same side but then you have the issue of different bolt pattern. A late model 2.0 mx5 with box is not a bad shout and comes relatively cheap.

4AGE Toyota 1600 16v has been a common swap and it's later more modern counterparts. Good power and reliable.

Depends how modern you want to go.

I will end with something I've said a fair few times, look at how much you have to spend and then what that will do to your current pinto. The pinto is tried tested and can still produce fantastic results on the twin choke downdraft.

Regards and happy Xmas

Paul

Guest alland3851

Thanks for all the info Paul. I will look at my budget but will also look at your suggestion about keeping the pinto and see what I would like to do and the cost verses a change of engine.

Merry Xmas to all