Wind Defuser

Joel

A bit of steel rod from the zoo (B&Q - full of monkeys), some fly screen from a stand at Stoneleigh (or a good camping shop), a family member who knows how to operate a sewing machine, and bobs your uncle....

The verdict? .....Not the slightest bit of difference, though with no sidescreens fitted and perhaps the windiest day of the year it wasn't the fairest of tests so I'll reserve judgement for now.

Looks cool though. B)

Guest John Church

Joel

Many many thanks for posting this article.

It seems like others that I too had been thinking about doing this, and you've just saved me hours of thinking time, hours of resourcing time and hours of bodging time and then half an hour taking it all off again because it didn't work.

Nice work.

Regards :)

Guest Battery Bill

Joey

Many many thanks for posting this article

I agree with John here :rolleyes: It was just the other day I was talking to Chris Goldson about our plans for doing this to ours, He replied:

"Don't bother it does not work!".

So thats two negatives, so its saved us the bother :D :D

Its the flat screen on a 7 that causes all the turbulence.

The Cobra's screen is curved which helps a lot.

My winter solution to keep the draught acceptable is elephant ear wind deflectors,

and a Surrey top.

My summer solution to keep the UV off my dome is elephant ear deflectors, and a Surrey top.

But usually I dont bother, get burned or frost bitten ears and just have a blast.

Pardon????

Bob.

Guest Friar Tuck

Just a thought, when I met Niduncan at Newark, we discussed wind diffusers, and I think he was about to make Mk2 diffuser for his car.

I am sure he said that the MK1 was effective, when used in conjunction with side screens, but that the material he had used was not up to the job, and the MK2 was going to use fibreglass mesh as supplied by M and M of Spalding.

Would be good to hear how he got on.

Cheers

The Friar

The problem with 7's is that the bonnet is tapered and pushes air out sidewards until it reaches the back of the scuttle. It then rushes in to fill the hole between the passengers and the dash, and it's this rushing air which needs to be removed. Very little of the air going over the screen comes back down again onto the passengers. This can be shown in two ways. First off, with sidescreens on, there's virtually no wind on my face. Secondly, when I first put mine on the road last year I did a few tests as I was thinking of fitting wind deflectors on the sides of the screen. From the centre of the car over the screen and down the scuttle sides, about every three or four of inches, I attached a strip of paper. Each strip about 1inch wide, and about 2 ft long. Then I drove it along a quiet road at work. At above about 30mph the ones around the top of the screen flutter above the passengers head, and the ones on the side of the screen point inwards slightly, but not much. The ones on the side of the scuttle point inwards much more and point directly at where the passenger's head and body would be.

Crude wind tunnel testing, but I think it was pretty conclusive as to where the air is coming from.

I know that the plan with the BMW type screen is to stop the air leaving behind the passengers, hence there's no flow out, hence there's no flow in. It's not really the flow through which is the problem, it's the huge space between the passengers and the dash / screen which is being filled as you drive along.

Ant

Guest timswait
Its the flat screen on a 7 that causes all the turbulence.

I heard on this board about someone planning to fit a curved screen to their hood, trawling scrappies for a "donor" with a suitable shape windscreen that could have a section cut out of it. Whoever it was, I'd be interested to know how you got on, I'm sure it would improve the looks of the car aswell as the aerodynamics, and I'd like to do it too if it worked. Not too sure about the possibilites of cutting toughened/laminated glass though.