Info Needed

Guest cjbailey

Guest cjbailey

Hi everybody, I have just placed an order (at stoneleigh) for a 2B. The only option they do now is pretty comprehensive, but I need some advice as to what I need from the donor! I would also appreciate details of companies that sell reconditioned engines and gearboxes (pinto 1.6 is what I really need!), and those that will recondition a unit for you, so that I can look at all the possible options. The spec of the kit is:

- Project 2B comprehensive kit

- 2B double wishbone suspension

- Stainless steel chassis and panels option

- Red, green or blue GRP, sable carpet

- 40 litre fuel tank

- Fuel sender

- Enhancement pack

> Pair of rear springs and shock absorbers

> Pair of four point seatbelt harnesses ( SVA correct)

> Set of four, 5 spoke alloy wheels with nuts (as shown on car)

> Pair of top quality, Recaro seats

> Stainless steel exhaust silencer (replacement part)

> Stainless steel 4 into 1 performance manifold

> Four flexible brake pipes

> Number plate lamp bracket

> Pair of mirrors (SVA correct)

> Reversing lamp

> Hand brake cable

> Washer bottle and pump

- Overhaul kit

> Two front vented discs

> Front break pads

> Wheel bearing kit

> Budget Batery

> Four Spark plugs

> Plug leads

> Oil filter

> Steering bush

> Rear wheel cylinders

> Cam belt

> Fan belt

> Gallon of Oil

> Tin of STP

> Tin of brake fluid

> More aerosol glue

- Wiring loom

- Luggage rack kit

- Hood and sidescreen set

- Spare alloy

- Five Yokohama tyres and valves

Guest TerryBarry

If you go to the RHOCaR website (see link at top of this page)

Go into "BuildTipz" and look at #37 - this gives a list of what you do and don't need.

I notice that you are getting the full kit including the wiring loom - you may find that you still need the Sierra's sub-loom for the ignition system. There are also connectors that you may need - e.g. the one to the instrument panel if you are going to reuse that.

I'm not sure if the main battery & earth leads form part of the supplied wiring loom.

If RH are still supplying the same windscreen washer reservior as I got you may have fun finding somewhere to fit it.

HTH

Terry

Guest Ant

Welcome to the club! Good to see that there's some 2003 collection people starting to join us.

Regarding a 1.6 donor, I think you'll struggle because the 1.6 engines went CVH on the mid and later models (86ish onwards - am I right guys?). Your chances of finding a low mileage one are slim. Best bet is to get one and then either have it reconditioned for you, or recondition it yourself. Buying a reconditioned unit without having one to hand in will be expensive. You may find someone on here who's removed a 1.6 lump to upgrade to a 2.0 so that may be a viable option.

Why go 1.6? The insurance isn't much difference fpor a 2.0 with some companies, but with others it is.

Cheers

Ant

If you really want a 1.6 donor, give backword on the overall kit. The brake cylinders wont fit (1.6 and 2.0 are different), the oil is cheap, and a set of disks/pads is about £30 from local accesory shop. I bought one, but for £117.50 you will get the parts cheaper at youre local accsesory shop.

Also

My donor was a 1.6 pinto and it was a early J plate but they are quite rare.

it later became a 2.0 before it was scrapped :p :p

Mitch

Guest Taffy Rob

Hes right, the overhaul kit is not suitable for a 1.6.

As far as the CVH goes, I thought the 1.8 came in early and th 1.6 didnt come in till the 'dark light' models c. 1990, I for one have a 1.6 carbd F plate 88 donor.

As far as performance goes, it is more than adequate, though I guess that once registered and used a bit it will get swapped for a 2 litre simply for extra push. But a 1.6 will be easier to get through noise test on sva.

And dont go to halfords whatever you do! Go down to your local motorfactors (pick one youve dealt with before), with an initial shopping list, put as much stuff you will know you need on it as possible, and chat to them about what you are doing. They will be very interested, and once they know you're good for your orders they will look after you very well, for example swapping fan belts or other parts, loooking for hoses, and will often give you a cheaper price too. Much better than dealing with some spotty herbert who doesn't really care what you do as long as you give him money.

Guest cjbailey
Why go 1.6? The insurance isn't much difference fpor a 2.0 with some companies, but with others it is.

Cheers

Ant

Well, there could be a slight problem with insurance on a 2.0, though I will need to find out. Most companies don't like me because I am currently 18 (19 in the summer) by the time it will be built I will be at least 20, if not 21 but most companies still won't like it!

If there are any younger members out there who could recommend companies then I would be very grateful!

So, by the looks of the various posts, I should get a 2.0 donor but replace the engine with a 1.6?

I would ultimately like to upgrade to the 2 litre anyhow (or even the RAW power toyota 4AGE twin-cam which will apparently fit!), but the age consideration is a major one!

If you go the Raw powered Toyota way, then you will need a very deep pocket. Get hold of their information brochure and start adding it up, just for the 135 bhp engine, with all the bits that you must have, £2500 comes up very quickly.

A 1600cc Pinto with the correct carb on will give adequate power. If you know that the engine is a good one, just change the sump (A MUST!) clean it, paint it, and put it in. Why spend £400 or so getting it reconditioned when you can pick up scrap Sierra's for peanuts, should you blow it up, just throw it away and put in another one.

If you go the Raw powered Toyota way, then you will need a very deep pocket. Get hold of their information brochure and start adding it up, just for the 135 bhp engine, with all the bits that you must have, £2500 comes up very quickly.

A 1600cc Pinto with the correct carb on will give adequate power. If you know that the engine is a good one, just change the sump (A MUST!) clean it, paint it, and put it in. Why spend £400 or so getting it reconditioned when you can pick up scrap Sierra's for peanuts, should you blow it up, just throw it away and put in another one.

The red one I blow up on an aerodrome, the other cost my nothing, and is just about to have the various bits put onto it, then it went in.

post-4-1052333913.jpg

Guest Taffy Rob

I insured my kit at the age of 24, for under 250 quid, fully comp, with Osbournes & Sons, who were by far the cheapest, some companies refusing point blank to touch anyone under 25. They do cheap build up cover too, and it was simple to upgrade.

Guest Chris.A.
:) Hi, "c.j." , Jim is right , you know. I built a 1600,4 speed. ( yeh , I`m 46 so insurance is nowt and I`m probably less despirate for the exhiloration as yourself) but I overhauled the engine myself, I`m no mechnaknik but it were that simple! Don`t be afraid. I have one word of advice. Don`t get "Big Ideas" untill the kit is finished,on the road, and you are concidered the local pussy magnet , like me!.......seriously,...might be an idea to go for the 2L xmissn/running gear but , I have always found that it is very rare that I can go full bolt even in a 1600 because of the sort of roads/traffic problems that we have today. Remember, 60 or 70 mph in a ROBIN HOOD is really , really exhilorating and just starts to be uncomfortable over that. She has never failed to satisfy me. On corners of 90 degrees , I chicken out before she does. At Stoneleigh, I met several RHOCaR members who built a ROBIN HOOD and then sold that to get a MegaBlade , Hyabusa or some such bike powered car, purly because the liked "Track days", no shame in that and they are more than welcome in the club. You could go down that route eventually but, for now, just get a simple HOOD built, on the road, pose etc, and feel the most fantastic feeling that she is ALL yours, by the time youve got it done ,you will be that much older and can decide if you want to upgrade in any number of directions. P.S. GO FOR IT, c.j. and good luck!

Guest cjbailey

Sorry... probably didn't put anywhere that my name is Chris!

Anyhow, I have just found a couple of possible donors. I need to check with various insurance companies before I ultimately decide what to do. I think, looking at the posts here, I will go for a 2 litre running gear with either a 1.6 or 2.0 engine (dependant on what I find and the insurance costs).

Many thanks to everyone who has replied!

Chris.

Hi Chris,

a couple of things to remember.....

Keep the donor's V5....dont tell DVLA the Sierra is scrapped until

after you get the 2B SVA'd.

Get the Sierra registered in your name, but make sure you declare

SORN at the same time.

When you decide which engine you are going to use, tell DVLA that you have

changed the engine in the SIERRA, and give them the new engine no.

You'll get a new V5 back which makes SVA & registration a bit easier.

Welcome to Loony Land!

Bob.

Guest cjbailey

That sounds like a good plan!!

tell DVLA that you have

changed the engine in the SIERRA, and give them the new engine no.

Would I be able to register a change of engine in a 2.0litre for a 1600? If so this would make life a lot easier, if not then I think it'll be a case of using the 2 l for the SVA and then changing the engine afterwards!

Cheers, Chris

Guest Rob Walters

Chris on the insurance front Adrian Flux advetise in the club mag, I use them and they seem quite reasonable (although Im not 18)

good luck with the build

Rob

Would I be able to register a change of engine in a 2.0litre for a 1600? If so this would make life a lot easier, if not then I think it'll be a case of using the 2 l for the SVA and then changing the engine afterwards!

Yes

i did change the details,only don't actually phisically change it. according to the log book my sierra was a 2.0 when it was officially scrapped even though the engine appeared 12 months after the donor was taken away.

Don't fit the 2.0 first as i can bet you won't go back to a 1.6 (or not for long anyhow) and you will need insurance to take it to the SVA and MOT and it would be regestered as 2.0 and insured as same.

Check the prices for insurance first may save work later

HTH

Mitch