Superspec fuel pump

deano266

Hi guys. 

Recently my Superspec has developed an interesting quirk. Some days the fuel pump will activate on the key like a good car should. However some days it won't prime unless I attach the fuel pump wore to a live wire momentarily to fire the pump up and then it will run no problem.

Does anyone have idea what could cause this. I have swapped the relay for the ECU one and same result 

How is the pump relay controlled? (You need to know this so you can track all components and wiring that control the pump to locate the fault.) Most ECU equipped cars have the ECU switching the fuel pump relay. Some cars might have the fuel pump relay directly switched by 'ignition on' but would need to have a safety cut-off (oil pressure or impact relay are common) in case of crash.

The super-spec fuel pump is controlled by the ECU.  It primes for a few seconds when ignition switched on, then turns off (if you haven't started engine).  Then runs continuously when engine running.  Connect a 12v light bulb across fuel-pump - will show whether it is faulty pump or the 12v to it.