new purchase 2b

Guest Gunby1990

Guest Gunby1990

hi guys well were to start. Joined you all a few months back when i bought a series 3a on a whim and not having a clue. I soon realised 1 i had bought the wrong car it was just too small inside. And 2 it was far more than i could do to finish it i had bitten of more than i could chew. 

So anyway i sold it and managed to get my money back. I was determined to get 1 still so ive just managed to purchase a 2b which is alot more complete than the 1st car. Apperntly all it needs is a horn,thermostat,and reverse lights and its ready for iva. I took a leap at it as im in county durham and it was past london. Collected it and i must say it looks like a very good build all recipts here for the kit and all parts totalling 4k and i paid £1990 for it. 

Anyway my 1st priority is to move the seats back and pedals back as the man who built it was tiny and im 6,4. Anyone got any advice on how to do this id be chuffed ill include some pics thanks.

20201013_034851.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-175419_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-175412_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-175406_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-175422_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-175425_Facebook.jpg

20201014_162509.jpg

20201014_162442.jpg

20201014_162440.jpg

Moving the seat back should be easy & I don't think you'll need to move the pedals unless you have very long legs.  I am 6'1"  and I don't have my seat all the way back in my 2B.  I'm guessing your seats are fixed in which case I would unbolt the drivers seat and see how far back it will actually go - you may need to lift it a tad to clear the rear suspension fixings but it should go all the way back until it's touching the rear panel. If that gives you enough leg room then you would then have to decide if you're going to bolt it back in a fixed position or add runners.  If that doesn't give you enough room then you are probably looking at a replacement pedal box as I don't think it's really practical to move the sierra set-up forwards but somebody else may well have done it - there are some very innovative folk in this club!

Hope this helps,  Steve

Hmmm, the old 'it only needs a reverse light and horn and it's ready to go' line - I wouldn't personally trust that. You've paid a good price IF that statement is true. However, it's definitely further on than your first buy 🙂

Seems strange that it needs a thermostat - does the engine run, car drive? I'm not an expert on Pinto's but is adding a thermostat that simple? Is a thermostat not standard on Pinto's? Why would you only add it afterwards and not during the build?

Without a servo fitted to the braking system you will have plenty of room for moving the pedals forward, (will need the fire wall re-building) but it seems from your picture that there is already a few inches spare ATM.  The mounting for the pedals may probably need reinforcing any way if the original brackets were used.

Guest Gunby1990
On 10/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Foz said:

Moving the seat back should be easy & I don't think you'll need to move the pedals unless you have very long legs.  I am 6'1"  and I don't have my seat all the way back in my 2B.  I'm guessing your seats are fixed in which case I would unbolt the drivers seat and see how far back it will actually go - you may need to lift it a tad to clear the rear suspension fixings but it should go all the way back until it's touching the rear panel. If that gives you enough leg room then you would then have to decide if you're going to bolt it back in a fixed position or add runners.  If that doesn't give you enough room then you are probably looking at a replacement pedal box as I don't think it's really practical to move the sierra set-up forwards but somebody else may well have done it - there are some very innovative folk in this club!

Hope this helps,  Steve

On 10/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Foz said:

Hope this helps,  Steve

Hi thanks for the advice been in the garage all day today. Made absoultley no progress but what i did do is unbolt the seat then realised it was on runners and the leaver was just stiff. Loosened that pushed it right back then did 4x attempts at bolting it all back up and no matter which way i did it i could not get it to go as stiff and stable as it was orginally. But it was sat on 4x nuts under the runners all differe t sizes so i am guessing they were to level the seat off. Anyway ive done thst many attempts ive knacked the threads on the bolts so need new ones. So 1 whole morning and im 1 step back ha ha

Guest Gunby1990
On 10/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, nelmo said:

Hmmm, the old 'it only needs a reverse light and horn and it's ready to go' line - I wouldn't personally trust that. You've paid a good price IF that statement is true. However, it's definitely further on than your first buy 🙂

Seems strange that it needs a thermostat - does the engine run, car drive? I'm not an expert on Pinto's but is adding a thermostat that simple? Is a thermostat not standard on Pinto's? Why would you only add it afterwards and not during the build?

hi engine runs drives fine temp gauge works the lad i bought it off wasnt the builder he only had it 1 month and never touched it. He bought it to make a profit i think as he didnt even know what it was called. But he bought it from the guy who made it apperntly he had 7x projects on the go and needed space so got rid of a few and this was 1. He said it needed reverse light,fog light ,thermostat and horn then it was ready for iva.