Oil pressure sender

Darren Knowles

Evening all question from a newbie ! I have a digital oil pressure guage that was on car when I bought it last week it’s connected to the standard oil pressure switch so it doesn’t work presumably as the standard one operates a light and not a guage ? What can i use instead and where will i get one thanks in advance Darren 👍🏻

I would have thought that the digital gauge would work if it was calibrated to the correct resistance range of the sender? Might be worth searching for the brand and its manual online? 

Otherwise, you really need a gauge and sender matched to each other. So you need to work out what sender you have - is it the OEM one for your engine (Ford? Mazda?) and then buy one that will work with it.

Might be easier to buy a new gauge and sender together (Car Builder Solutions) and replace the existing sender? 

Try to identify the gauge. Most companies will sell you a replacement sender for their gauges.
The standard oil pressure switch is just that, either on or off. It switches off at a  set pressure, usually 7-10 psi.
Try to keep the oil pressure light, its an attention grabber if it comes on while youre driving, while you may miss the gauge dropping to 0 psi!
Most engines have a spare tapping where you can fit the oil pressure sender, otherwise just use a T piece.

11 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

Try to identify the gauge. Most companies will sell you a replacement sender for their gauges.
The standard oil pressure switch is just that, either on or off. It switches off at a  set pressure, usually 7-10 psi.
Try to keep the oil pressure light, its an attention grabber if it comes on while youre driving, while you may miss the gauge dropping to 0 psi!
Most engines have a spare tapping where you can fit the oil pressure sender, otherwise just use a T piece.

Just ordered an oil light as you say bob it glares at you more than digital guage 

thanks for advice