Cam belt not lined up ?

LeicJim3a

After lots more fettling we are getting close to sorting issues mentioned previously, however tonight I had it running and heard a rattle (metallic) from the front of engine unable to locate although I did find some play in water pump that I will replace I noticed cam belt on top pulley sat back but on the pulley bottom left sits forward ? Is this a major concern or some what normal ? Belt was replaced 2 weeks ago ! Is this a sign of play in one of the pulleys that could be the noise I can hear ? 

IMG_6448.jpeg

IMG_6447.jpeg

This is normal. Belt finds its own position on the toothed wheels.

There are 2 guide washers to prevent it falling off. 1 behind the top wheel as shown in your bottom picture and one in front of the crankshaft wheel. Between the 2 washers the belf cannot fall off. It is normal to lightly touch one or the other.

In the top picture there is braided cable / hose that looks very close to the belt.

Rattle only when revved,  I understand its not the belt making the noise but wondered if I have play in a pully that could be the reason the belt is not sitting right. However IanS has put my mind at rest that this is normal I just need to find what is making the rattle. Ps I have noticed the fuel hose close to belt and put on my ever increasing list of jobs to do this weekend ! WELL SPOTTED IAN ! 

I had something similar a few years ago and turned out to be worn big-end bearings,

A good test to see if it is internal to the engine is to pull of the HT lead from each cylinder in turn and see if the rattle stops. That will tell you the issue is on that cylinder...

Check that the bolts holding the belt pulleys are all tight. Get a long screwdriver with a big head. Place the pointy end against various parts of the engine, then put the handle to your ear. Start with the water pump, they do make a fair bit of noise if knackered.
Avoid any and all spinning parts!
This is best done in the front drive when the neighbours are all out washing their cars!
You will hear the sound easily. Dont be worried about whirring, tinking and other assorted noises. They are all normal, just magnified by the screwdriver.

Nelmo & Bob many thanks for your input and advice it is greatly appreciated. Currently have the tank out for investigations once back in and running I will follow the advice given. The annoying part is 25yrs ago when I was a mechanic working on Sierras I knew a lot of this stuff i just seem to have forgot a lot  !