I stamped on the head?

Tickover

Hi 

New to all this so apologies if been asked before, I've searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer. I picked up a non runner S3a at the weekend and have managed to get it running and moving. I believe the engine is a Pinto 2ltr 205 block from 1987. there is a stamp that looks like "I" to the left of plug #4. 

HAs anyone got any idea what the I stands for, is it leaded? if so does it need an additive? what's the best to use and how often?

Ive not had the chance to take the head off to see what shape the ports are, as I want to take it for an mot to get a list of what needs to be down to get it back on the road, then ill have plenty to do in the winter..

Thanks for your time!

I have no idea what an "I" means but, if my old brain serves me correctly  L, P or R was the code for unleaded.  So if that "I" could be an "L" you may well have an unleaded head.  If it is definitely an "I" then it's probably not, unless it's been modified.

Can't help with the additive - I've never used it in anything.

Hope this helps,  Steve

My engine is also a 1987 2.0L 205 block Pinto, with a definite "I" stamped on the head. The inlet ports are round (not egg shaped like on the injection heads) so I choose to assume it's leaded and add Castrol Valvemaster to the fuel (1 ml per litre of fuel).

This is an old chestnut. I have picked up lots of scraps of info from this and other forums over the years. In my amalgamated text file I have the following line. 'I' OR 'L' stamped next to number 4 spark plug hole= a leaded head most likely to be 1979 - 1982 in age. Now you are wondering about the age of your engine. Find the engine number stamped on the offside, near the front, should also match the V5 document. It should start with two capital letters. Then look at the attached screen grab from Burton Power to find the month and year of manufacture. For example my engine number has FR (June 1985) .... notice another FR in Oct 1966 .. cant be for a Pinto though. Oh! yes, also this assumes that the cylinder head and block are the original pairing.

FordManufactureDates.thumb.jpg.9331386f47d6f4c68bbd88866468229c.jpg

Edited by Sparepart
Add info

Yes, I used that chart to determine the age of my engine block (HY, therefore 1987), but you're right, that doesn't mean you assume the head, or any other parts of the powertrain, are the same age or from the same donor vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Sparepart said:

This is an old chestnut. I have picked up lots of scraps of info from this and other forums over the years. In my amalgamated text file I have the following line. 'I' OR 'L' stamped next to number 4 spark plug hole= a leaded head most likely to be 1979 - 1982 in age. Now you are wondering about the age of your engine. Find the engine number stamped on the offside, near the front, should also match the V5 document. It should start with two capital letters. Then look at the attached screen grab from Burton Power to find the month and year of manufacture. For example my engine number has FR (June 1985) .... notice another FR in Oct 1966 .. cant be for a Pinto though. Oh! yes, also this assumes that the cylinder head and block are the original pairing.

FordManufactureDates.thumb.jpg.9331386f47d6f4c68bbd88866468229c.jpg

My engin number is HU20817 so that would tie up with the doner car being a 1987 Sierra. So there is a good chance that it could be the original head  for the block?

I guess when winter arrives I'll take the head off and inspect to see if inlet ports are round or egg shaped