Robin Hood in Munich :-)

Craig Poultney

Hi from Munich,

A complete newbie here. Just in the process of buying a Seven in Germany. It has all of the relevant registration documents and even has a historical number plate (not easy to get in Germany). It’s also been here about 15 years. Got a couple of questions that the group may or may not be able to help me with. I’ll post some pics as well to support the questions.

1. what series is the car itself. I think it’s based on the sierra (by looking at the identification pics). Not sure though.

2. Can anyone identify the engine from the pics? Or how can I identify myself? Want to change the cambelt as a precaution (and maybe the cam oil feed pipe) 

3. The dashboard leaves a lot to be desired 🙂 would like to update it also with new dials etc. any tips how to go about this? What materials are best? What instruments are recommended and where can I get them?

Apologies for the multitude of questions in one thread. I’ll try and separate next time.

thanks in advance for the help / advice. Looking forward to getting the car now and getting out for a blast. 

10FDD330-1323-47AA-B5B5-BBCC6366DD14.jpeg

1E6364B1-0607-437D-B529-FD3A9F345A26.jpeg

8504B806-FBB2-497B-B8B3-93A86A70134D.jpeg

839D17F3-FBDB-45D7-82A9-6F6208041BCE.jpeg

49A6EF5D-2CAF-464B-91C7-7F7A28F4E4D8.jpeg

8159AEC6-796F-4AC5-A57F-7A45305F9E4E.jpeg

82856051-D50A-4B11-A843-5B1349758BE8.jpeg

5A68EDF3-C973-4593-A76B-3B1DA7119A77.jpeg

4AB35D6C-02E1-4296-949A-CB16BEB61C28.jpeg

Edited by Craig Poultney

Hi Craig, welcome to the club.

It looks like an S3 to me - have a look here - https://nw.rhocar.org/htm/identification.htm       The clocks and stalks look like Sierra to me as well.

Options for re-doing the dash are probably as numerous as the number of cars built.  Have a search on here & you should find lots of picture and info. on instruments and dash.  I would take your time, study a few designs and mock them up on your car to make sure you can see everything before you decide.  There is little worse than making and fitting a nice new dash panel only to find that you can't see the petrol gauge when your hand's on the steering wheel.  (Don't ask how I know).

That engine looks like a Ford "pinto" to me, quite possibly from a Sierra.   Have a look on the side of the block, there should be numbers cast in the side which give the engine size.  Earlier blocks had 2 digits, later ones 3.    16 or 16x is a 1600, 18 or 18x is an 1800 and 20 or 20x is a 2 litre.   The "x" digit is an indication of the construction of the block.    I would say the power figures you've got are about right for a tuned 2 litre.

Hope this helps,     Steve

It is a narrow tub sierra based S7. The clue is the trumpets covering the end of the rear subframe just in front of the rear arches.

It uses the sierra front subframe which makes it Mark 1 Sierra S7. So the kit dates form 1994 to 1996.

Have fun and drive like you stole it!!

3 hours ago, IanS said:

It is a narrow tub sierra based S7. The clue is the trumpets covering the end of the rear subframe just in front of the rear arches.

It uses the sierra front subframe which makes it Mark 1 Sierra S7. So the kit dates form 1994 to 1996.

Have fun and drive like you stole it!!

Thanks for the analysis IanS. According to the list on the rho site, the years you mentioned bridge the Series 1 & 2. Your thinking is that it's a series 1 though?

Cheers

Craig

image.png.13c0ca34a462f3ca1689a5b6353372b9.png

4 hours ago, Foz said:

Hi Craig, welcome to the club.

It looks like an S3 to me - have a look here - https://nw.rhocar.org/htm/identification.htm       The clocks and stalks look like Sierra to me as well.

Options for re-doing the dash are probably as numerous as the number of cars built.  Have a search on here & you should find lots of picture and info. on instruments and dash.  I would take your time, study a few designs and mock them up on your car to make sure you can see everything before you decide.  There is little worse than making and fitting a nice new dash panel only to find that you can't see the petrol gauge when your hand's on the steering wheel.  (Don't ask how I know).

That engine looks like a Ford "pinto" to me, quite possibly from a Sierra.   Have a look on the side of the block, there should be numbers cast in the side which give the engine size.  Earlier blocks had 2 digits, later ones 3.    16 or 16x is a 1600, 18 or 18x is an 1800 and 20 or 20x is a 2 litre.   The "x" digit is an indication of the construction of the block.    I would say the power figures you've got are about right for a tuned 2 litre.

Hope this helps,     Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the warm welcome 🙂

Yeah I wasn't sure on the model based on the pictures. I thought it was a series 2 but I guess I'll be able to a bit more digging when I've actually picked it up next week. IanS gave a few more pointers as well with respect to the side pods.

With the dash layouts it's all a bit overwhelming as there are so many great looking examples out there but thanks for the advice on mocking up, I'll definitely be doing that. 

Will also check the engine for any annotations to see if they match. The rocker cover was throwing me a bit with the RS and especially the claimed figures. The normal pinto 1593 would be pushed to get 143ps out of it. Looking forward to the investigation though.

Thanks again 🙂 Updates coming soon

Craig

8 hours ago, IanS said:

Autosol chrome polish and a lot of elbow grease😀 on the stainless.

There is a large area to polish for a small car.

Fiberglass needs Tcut. But be carefull not to go through the gellcoat  (or paint coat )

Will put the vinegar and olive oil back in the kitchen then 🙂 

cheers IanS