2B Speedo and Rev Counter not working

Sam Burton

Hi All,

Introduce myself, I'm a new 2B owner in St Neots, Cambridgeshire. Recently purchase my 2003 2B, has a few issues which i'm trying to resolve, i'm a former mechanic however very much a novice when it comes to the Kit Car scene :) so hoping the Guru's can assist.

My main issue is the Speedo and Rev Counters are very intermittent, for the last few years MOT the mileage has never changed and sometimes didn't display at all, so MOT history looks a bit odd.

Where would be my best starting point location to try and find my issue, also is there anyway of changing the mileage to try to catch up to where we suspect it is now. (Photo attached of gauges installed)

I've not spent much time on it yet, as currently waiting for a replacement thermostat to turn up as the previous owner stated that it gets too hot and has to have the electric fan on constantly as they have been advised the core size of the rad is now too small, i'm not so sure, i think it could be a flow issue rather than a rad being too small, however i will no doubt be asking some questions about this further into ownership :)

Thanks all, look forward to meeting you at some potential meets

Sam

Screenshot_20240103_161600_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_133333_Gallery.jpg

Hi and welcome to the club!

I agree, I doubt the over-heating issue is the rad (unless it's leaking or got lots of broken fins) and even if it is, you may not be able to fit  bigger-core rad in. However, thats about all the help I can give you - I don't have a Pinto and over-heating is one of the few issues (touch wood) I've never had.

Make sure you do a search in the forum because I know both of your issues have come up before and there have been lots of suggested solutions which could help you.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I know the car, I did work on it for a previous owner so what follows is based on what I saw when I worked on it in 2021.

The speedo works off GPS it isn't driven off the gearbox / transmission. My recommendation is get rid of it and replace it with one that does.

The rev counter - I think this is actually another speedo but I couldn't tell for sure because I didn't have any instructions for it but from memory, I think it did have another GPS input which is why I didn't think it was a rev counter. I left it with the 4 wire connector disconnected.

IMG_20210917_102026.thumb.jpg.49e605fabdd71b0077b36fedbc5f97d3.jpg

Edited by richyb66

Hi Sam,

Have a look on CBS  https://www.carbuilder.com/uk      to give you an idea of what sort of things are available

There is a very wide range out there and you can pay a fortune for some of them.   You may be able to find some of the same diameter to go straight into your existing dash, or you might decide to redo it with something different - maybe even go digital?  It's all down to what you fancy.

As Rich says I would go for a speedo that gets it's signal from a sensor on the drive train.  It might be more work to fit the sensor etc. but, once set up, it should then always give you an accurate speed reading.   I like VDO clocks but that's just my preference.

Steve

I know what you're saying, it can take some time and patience to get a sensor set up calibrated accurately, but once it's done I would say that it should be accurate and more consistent than GPS.

My cobra speedo is quite accurate but I need to look over to the left & down to read it, so I have a small digital GPS speedo on top of the dash which is much easier to read with a quick glance.  The trouble with the GPS one is that it often loses the signal around the city (as do our satnavs) and it then shows the last known speed, zero, or sometimes even jumps up into 3 figures !

I guess it really depends where you normally drive and how good the GPS signal is.