Please Read - 2b Wishbones

Guest Angel Boy

Guest ianjenn

With my past history of snapping drills I decided not to drill and split pin the ball joint. Also if as people say, the ball joint beds down after a number of miles, how am I going to tighten the nut in the future. So as I am using the MK cycle wing brackets, I have decided to mount a small plate to hold the nut. (see piccy). Then If I need to re-tighten the nut I just need to make a new plate (takes 2 mins). The MK brackets are held in position at the top wishbone as well.

post-10-1119182654.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ianjenn

Hi Mitch,

do you think it will be ok for SVA like that then. Coz I can't get anymore thread to show. What are half nuts? (can I just grind the nylok down abit)

cheers

alex

sorry, didnt know you was not OTR

Tricky, its a nyloc, so in theory should have thread showing, but you have a secondry locking device on, so it should not be able to come loose,(so long has the tapers lock together) maybe a call to the SVA tech line and explain what you have done and ask if it would be okay.

Half nut is a half thickness nut, you could grind one down, but the bottom would need to be flat for it to thighten on the stub axle correctly.

you can buy them but, the track rods have a fine thread and may be hard to get hold of, but it would be worth the trouble for a quid or so.

HTH

Mitch

Guest ianjenn

I have access to a lathe so can turn them down, but I think I will go for SVA as they are now and see what happens. I am not really relying on the nylok part anyway as we already know this comes loose.

Guest timswait

That looks like it will hold the nut fine, but why doesn't any more thread show through? On every other car I've seen much more thread sticks through than that, is it not seating properly on the taper?

Also, don't forget the ball joint can also come undone from the wishbone, so that could also do with a locking mechanism. (although SVA man probably won't know that, so won't fail it if it doesn't)

Guest ianjenn

The taper is definitely home and locked in place, the lack of thread is because of the MK bracket. It is 6mm plate. The robinhood bracket doesn't mount on the bottom ball joint.

Guest Petemate

Beware - the SVA man testing Dave's Dax pulled a few nut covers off, presumably to check just that - i.e. amount of thread protruding.

Petemate