Lightweight Chassis Jig

peter_m7uk

Just a bit of advice to anyone about to buy a Lightweight kit. Can you point out to Robin Hood that the 2 pieces of 8' by 4' chipboard aren't enough to complete the jig?! :rolleyes:

You really need another half a piece (4' by 4') if you want to follow their dimensions, then have some scrap left over for offcuts to pack underneath the jig.

Pete ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Hi, new to the forum. Thinking of buying a l/w. Just sent a very detailed msg to RH asking to clarify some of the issues about the l/w. *One* of the questions was about this so-called "jig" *and* part of the question was a request for pictures of exactly what needs to be build for it. :rolleyes:

BTW, for the l/w'ers (and the rest of the RHers) how come no one is considering the new duratec 2.0l engine? Are they difficult to get in uk? No focus's in the uk??!!??

I have done a substantial amount of research, and i have yet to find a better engine, for the price...atleast how i plan to use it. I have found NUMEROUS sources (wrecking yards and ebay) that offer the engine for about $500. W/ the additions of JUST induction improvements, that $500 engine will put out ~200hp!! W/ a weight of about 130kg. From a race/track perspective, this $500 engine can then be raced as HARD as you want. When it fails (probably will eventually, since it still has the stock internals), then u simply plug in another $500 engine. The induction improvements are somewhat expensive (L1500), but they are a *one* time cost.

Cheers, -sm

Duratec would be an excellent choice. Light, will take 8000rpm as standard and good for 220bhp without touching the internals. On the downside its tall so needs a shortened sump and even then would be tight in a dinky little lightweight, needs a special bellhousing to mate to ford box, needs to be injected (you could runit on 45's) and ignition mapped and nearly all the stuff you read about tuning comes with a price tag that would make your eyes water. My impression is that it just looks too expensive but it would not be that much more than a zetec install.

Nigel

Guest ScotMac

Yep Long, the induction improvements i mentioned are NOT cheap. But i didn't consider them exhorbitant either. The L1500 i mentioned is for webcon, and the sbdev is around L1700. But that is one a one time cost, and is the extent of the tuning necessary to get the gains we have proposed Here is a picture of what comes in the devcon kit:

http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/AlphaPlusKits.htm

Here is a picture of sbd's 203 duratec kit :

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Duratec/Duratec_203_Kit.htm

I have comprehensive list of the parts in BOTH of these kits if you want it...it is ALOT more than the pictures (they didn't want to clutter the pictures).

Riz, which cycle engine can i get for $500 (us) that will give me 200+hp, at 130kg?????

;) i can get a fireblade for £450,or a r1 for £650 thats 13o and 155bhp respectivly and 56kg and 62 kg respectivly

plus remember no large gearbox or heavy flywheel and clutch so it would work out to a higher power to weight ratio :D

plus no modded induction systems etc just standard and a 12,000 rev limt

Guest ScotMac

In fact, Riz, the duratec is even better than i thought. I just looked it up: 92kg. So, what is ur r1? About 70kg? And about 150hp? So, we have (assuming 200hp for duratec, which is conservative:

duratec : 2.17hp/kg

r1 : 2.14hp/kg

AND here are some common prices for motorcycle engines (recent add for wrecked bikes):

Good day. Three more engines came in. All from wrecked bikes with copy of title and VIN number and engine serial number.

04 R1 very clean mileage unknown no damage $2600US

05 R1 light roadrash nothing broken 1500 miles with tach $2850US

02 GSXR1000 light roadrash nothing broken 5300 miles $2100

More to come. We ship fast for about $175US.

Guest ScotMac

LOL....exactly the opposite!!! ;-) Those cycle engines are too expensive. The duratec's are cheap already ($500), and going to get more-common/cheaper.. And i am going to race my buggy...race engines tend to blow...$500(US) replacement cost is great vs $1200(US) for riz's (mythical? ;-) price and $2000- $3000 market prices.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Cheers, -sm

Guest ScotMac

BTW, Peter, sorry for usurping ur thread....this engine discussion has VERY little to do w/ that wonderful jig that i am going to have to build!!! ;-) Got any pictures for us?

Speaking of which, i still haven't received a reply from RH for my detailed questionaire (expecting instant response from RH is not very advisable?? ;-).

However, i did get a response from a 3-day old request for info about the l/w chassis. They say it is LESS strong than a tubular chassis!!! Which goes against all chassis theory. Well, maybe not. They did say less *strong*...not less *stiff*. hmmm....wonder wth they meant!!!!

OK, just sent off a reply repeating my questionaire, and asking wth they meant by less "strong". Also, they again quoted their stress testing. So, i asked for numbers to back it up.

BTW, who is Jordan (answering the RH phone)? She had no info, and couldn't get anyone else to answer my questions, but was nice about it!!! ;-)

BTW2, wth is the "technical support line"? Do they have a email for "technical support"? Jordan quoted to me about this great technical-support team that could answer my tech questions, but couldn't tell me the email addr, and the first email addr said the same thing (great tech supp, but gave no contact info).....is it just technical@robinhoodsportscars.co.uk???

:huh: where abouts are you scotmac,im in essex and can give you the phone number of the guy i have met

the prices are real,and include loom,clocks etc

he sells to the kitcar manufacturers incuding my car make mnr,i had to deliver two r1 egines to them as a favour,hence meeting him and getting his number and prices

Guest ScotMac

Thanks for the offer...but even at your special prices, they are too expensive. The 2.3l duratecs, which are more common and i believe have been out longer than the 2.0, go for $350. That is a realistic future *market* price for the 2.0 duratecs...and a very nice replacement price for my likely future blown race engine!!! ;-) Also, the high revving engine designs (s2000, 2zz-ge, and cycle engines) are more likely to blow...and when they do, i don't want to pump out $1200 a pop (your price)/$2000-$3000 (market price).

BTW, you are correct that the bike tranny/clutch is usually lighter than the auto version, however you forgot to mention the bikes extra parts....eg, the bike sprocket to drive shaft.

BTW2, 925lbs is very good weight for your car. When i looked at MNR they quoted a much higher weight for the vortx rt...i believe around 1200lbs...i'll try to look it up again.

BTW3, i am a LONG way from you!!! California!!! ;-)

Guest chris brown

The duratec is probably the best retrofit engine but to fit from the start would be a bind as you would have to fit a cat with all that entails (just ask the Super Spec boys) and unless you are using all new components then the chances are you would end up with a Q plate.