Unmarked Police Vans

Guest tom2b

Guest micky bigthumbs

The cameras that detect tax disc info and insurance etc i think are being tested on the bristol road birmingham , static fixed cameras .... a chap on the building site where i work was done through the post for driving with no tax and a picture to prove it...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All ANPR cameras are capable of checking the DVLC for licence, tax offences and also MOT and insurance databases, plus of course the PNC for lost/stolen reports.

Guest docter fox

Sounds like a good idea to me :)

I'm happy to be pulled over for a check if it gets rid of some of the people I'm paying for on top of my already hefty insurance bills ;)

Guest steve_m77
Got to be unanimous support then for this one???!!!!?? :D

No, it's a good idea, nobody wants uninsured drivers on the road but it's a matter of prioritisation, the plod are happy enough to divert significant resources into ANPR operations but don't have the staff to do the more mundane, regular work, like catching thugs, chasing up on thefts, burglaries etc.

I'd like to see the important stuff being tackled first, then look at other peripheral issues like road tax, no insurance etc.

Guest docter fox

^^^ there's always one :lol:

If your car was written off by someone without insurance I'm sure it would suddenly become a lot more important to you?

I'd like to see the important stuff being tackled first, then look at other peripheral issues like road tax, no insurance etc

You are forgetting that most criminals use the road network to do their business. ANPR operations account for enormous number of arrests up and down the country for crimes such as auto theft, burgalry, drug importation / distribution, human trafficking to name a few. Don't make the mistake that 'plod' stands by the roadside just to make sure your MOT is up to date, important things are being targeted. In addition, by getting criminals disqualified from driving by prosecuting vehicl offences, thens starts to deny them use of the roads. Those caught offending against a ban are imprisoned. - Job done!

Guest Petemate

Good points Derek. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about (or maybe best not to know!!...) But generally, I deffo wouldn't want a copper's job. With all the yobs chuck at you, and with the ever increasing lily-livered pc brigade (no pun intended...) it must be hard to keep cool. I'm all for the database thingy to catch untaxed/uninsured and soon un-MOT'd drivers. Spot on.

Pete

Guest docter fox

I payed out £1500 for insurance, tax and MOT's this year so I'm not exactly happy when other people simply dont pay it! a part of me just thinks cut the little b*ggers hands off! :ph34r:

I think the fines should be a lot heavier though! perhaps on a staging basis, like if your less than a week out of tax then only a small fine, less than 2 then a slightly bigger fine, less than a month a bigger one, over a month, a hefty fine, over 3 months, a big fine and a driving ban, over 6 months, a big fine, your car crushed and send you away to jail to think about what you've done :lol:

Guest Battery Bill
Got to be unanimous support then for this one???!!!!??

Yup Im with Richard and Derek on this one, but:

Those caught offending against a ban are imprisoned.

Hang the "Bar stewards" instead :lol: :lol:

[

Yes im all for that, think its a good idea and should be used more regularly, however i am against speed camera vans that arent clearly marked!]

I'm against VASCAR you can't detect it and you can't see it when its in an unmarked SILVER BMW

D day 15th November :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

I'd like to see the important stuff being tackled first, then look at other peripheral issues like road tax, no insurance etc.

What if you're a pedestrian hit by an uninsured driver, and will no longer be able to work due to injuries sustained? Would you be happy with no compensation?

I think the consensus seems to be hang everyone that doesn't comply!!

However the penalties for no insurance, tax etc are just too miniscule to act as a deterrent. As a case in point my son has paid £1500 to insure a lowly Fiat Uno Third party only. God knows what it would have been on a "proper" car. He is only 17.

Anyway the stupid tw*t (no it's not an I) drove his mates car one night, who'd had a one drink too many. Don't all start we've warned him till we're blue in the face. Obviously not insured. Gets stopped. I'm quite relieved in a way due to teaching lessons and all that. Anyway upshot is 6 points and £100 fine. Oh and new law now, if in the first year of passing his licence is revoked and he now has to pass test again. Lesson learnt big time for him....

Anyway moral is his insurance will be a tad on the expensive side come renewal, (bl**dy astronomical) but the fine is appalling. I know he's relieved at the costs but what sort of a deterrent is it if it going to be a few grand to insure that evo 8 you've just bought or a few hundred IF you get stopped.

Steps down of soap box :gdit:

Guest steve_m77
^^^ there's always one :lol:

If your car was written off by someone without insurance I'm sure it would suddenly become a lot more important to you?

It's only money and what's a few hundred pounds compared to people's lives. I have got friends who have had their homes vandalised and their life plundered by thieves and the pold don't have the "time or resources to do anything about it" - the words of the local plod.

Before they spend days catching tax disc dodgers (easy prey and brings in an income) lets see some real policing ! Lets see the real difficult issues being tackled and progress made then perhaps they can spend a few days relaxing by the roadside.