Unmarked Police Vans

Guest tom2b

Guest steve_m77
What if you're a pedestrian hit by an uninsured driver, and will no longer be able to work due to injuries sustained? Would you be happy with no compensation?

If 3rd party insurace is such an important issue then there are far more effective methods of tackling it than the way we do it now.

The odd ANPR site isn't going to make a dent in thee problem, it'll just catch avery small percentage.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest steve_m77
You are forgetting that most criminals use the road network to do their business. ANPR operations account for enormous number of arrests up and down the country for crimes such as auto theft, burgalry, drug importation / distribution, human trafficking to name a few. Don't make the mistake that 'plod' stands by the roadside just to make sure your MOT is up to date, important things are being targeted. In addition, by getting criminals disqualified from driving by prosecuting vehicl offences, thens starts to deny them use of the roads. Those caught offending against a ban are imprisoned. - Job done!

I agree, I've seen the stats from one ANPR operation near me. It was disapointing that most of the offences were minor, most for tax/insurance, a few for defects on cars like tyres, there were a few intersting arrests, one chap had been caught smuggling booze and faild to appear in court, lots for failing to pay court fines etc.

One interesting fact that came out was that a number of the cars were not registered to the drivers . . . andd it turned out that the DVLA database was so out of date that much of their effort was wasted. For this reason at least one force has reduced the number of ANPR operations they are performing. I'm sure that for even an eager plod, stopping the 10th motorist for having no tax and finding a valid tax disc is pretty demoralising.

I think that given the manpower and costs involved and the scatter gun approach, the affort would be better spent on targetting the crimes that affect us the most. It's very easy to sit by the roadside and wait for offenders to come to you but it's not going to stop house breaking and mugging.

it was mentioned in this thread that most of the drivers didnt own the cars that they were driving. i think this is the main reason why the "driving other vehicles" is due to be slowly removed by insurers. it's a pain, as i drive at least 2 other cars sometimes in this way, but if it stops this type of scum never paying tax, insurance and never facing any real consequences then i'll be all for it.

A nice touch to reduce the driving vehicles you don't own bit which is frequently use by crims buying but not registering cars to avoid the bother of tax, insurance etc would be to impound the car, only to be collected by the registered owner on provision of valid documents. Totaly reasonable and legal as the cops should not permit a driver to drive when they have reason to believe he may be commiting an offence in doing so.

Crush it after a fortnight. No compensation. And still do the driver for no tax etc. Publicise that on TV ads and implement it. Bet that would change the stats.

Nigel

Guest docter fox

I just don't see why I should pay for other people who choose not too, and as it's illegal not to I believe the police should work to stop this as well as robberies and theft

on the other hand I think insurance policies should be made simpler and easier to have for different periods of time

andd it turned out that the DVLA database was so out of date that much of their effort was wasted

It was but is much more accurate now.

I think that given the manpower and costs involved and the scatter gun approach, the affort would be better spent on targetting the crimes that affect us the most. It's very easy to sit by the roadside and wait for offenders to come to you but it's not going to stop house breaking and mugging.

But that is the point, ANPR operations are inteligence led through the National Intelligence Model. They operate in areas where we know criminals use the roads. Of course it's a bit like fishing, if the prey doesn't come out to play then nothing gets caught. In 26 years of service, I've only happened across a burglar in the act twice, so the game has to change and be more proactive. Then again, if you want to pay more income and council tax, I'm sure the Government will put a uniform on each street corner :o

Guest megablade
Then again, if you want to pay more income and council tax, I'm sure the Government will put a uniform on each street corner :o

I very much doubt it would filter down to steet level.

First they would have to set up a think tank, to decide how many middle managers were needed.......................

All public services are like a toilet bowl (I'm not critising the excellent staff at the sharp end). Throw a load of money in the top, and most of it gets caught before it reaches the bottom! :wub:

From what I can see the problem with policing is that it's getting like everything else in this world - it's being driven by statistics and the people looking at the numbers are either too damn stupid to interpret them properly or (and this is my pet theory) the people looking at the numbers know full well that statistics can prove or disprove anything if they are massaged properly. Every crime solved is seen as a success - is every unsolved crime seen as a failure? Is it b@ll@cks!

Example if 50% of all cases taken to court fail then the numbers look apalling. Answer stop taking the less certain cases to court. Result the numbers look better but more guilty people are never taken to court - they get wind of this and petty crime goes up because the scum know that so long as they can talk fast they can probably get away with it.

Extension more bobby's on the beat would cost more. If it's done properly then crime would go down but how do you statistically relate a crime prevented (the thieving scum was about to break into your car but saw a copper further down the road so changed his mind) to an extra mans wages?

Relating to this thread - the wages of the person implementing the scheme will almost certainly increase with increases in the number of vehicles/people caught. This is the wrong way to do it - the sucess should be seen as a decrease in the number of cars caught for the same amount of monitoring in the same places as this would imply that less people are commiting the offence rather than just that we're getting better at catching the offenders.

I want three things from policing.

1. I want crime to be prevented - I don't want to have to barricade my house and car to the point where I'm inconvenienced to do it.

2. I want criminals to be caught - whether it's a large or small offence I want the scum to have their collars felt.

3. I want the punishment to be a deterrant - both for the person who commited the offence and for others who may commit the offence in future.

From what I'm seeing there's very little of any of it happening due to a lack of funding for the police forces and a huge amount of mis-management.

Iain

It's only money and what's a few hundred pounds compared to people's lives. I have got friends who have had their homes vandalised and their life plundered by thieves and the pold don't have the "time or resources to do anything about it" - the words of the local plod.

Before they spend days catching tax disc dodgers (easy prey and brings in an income) lets see some real policing ! Lets see the real difficult issues being tackled and progress made then perhaps they can spend a few days relaxing by the roadside.

I'm sure you might be able to find something positive to say if your motor got nicked and turned up through an ANPR check.

Grind your axe somewhere else. Write to the papers. Get over it.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the Rhocar community because I am building a Robin Hood and there are a lot of like minded people here. You're boring me with your anti-police wingeing.

Apologies everyone for sounding off but I've just finished a very busy early shift waiting at the side of the road for robbers and rapists to pull over and give themselves up.

Guest steve_m77
I'm sure you might be able to find something positive to say if your motor got nicked and turned up through an ANPR check.

Grind your axe somewhere else. Write to the papers. Get over it.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the Rhocar community because I am building a Robin Hood and there are a lot of like minded people here. You're boring me with your anti-police wingeing.

Apologies everyone for sounding off but I've just finished a very busy early shift waiting at the side of the road for robbers and rapists to pull over and give themselves up.

Read the thread again and comment when you're feeling brighter and less tired, you're the only one who has read "anti police" ad "axe to grind" into anything I've said.

Appology accepted btw.