Dvla And Tax.. Ive Got That Sinking Feeling!

Guest loopyonion

Guest loopyonion

Long story, cut short!

Got my exhaust back Friday ready to fit, suns out, clear few hours etc. my hoods insured already, and I know it's on the MID database.

I go online, try to tax it, and bang.. It says my may 2010 Q plate has no MOT..? Strange, I taxed it the day I had my reg number sent through?

Thankfully, u still have all receipts and all certs from VOSA, so I can prove all that they're going to ask for. So, according to this bit of info, the entire time I've driven it since registration has been without MOT. ??

Tomorow I will start the calls etc. bit annoyed that I cant go and test my new setup! As for preparation, I didn't expect the weather to be as nice as it is in November, otherwise I would of taxed it sooner!

Glad I have this problem now, and not when I've been pulled by mr policeman !

Are you thinking you don't need an MOT for 3 yrs? As you may find that is not the case. I only got 1year after SVA. In theory only new reg cars should get 3yrs. age related have a note on the v5 saying not from new parts and should get 1 according to DVLA. Seems to be luck of the draw as some people do get 3 others like me get 1. DVLA don't know what on earth is going on but if it says you need an mot after 1 year you won't get far - 'sorry sir the system says you need it'

good luck.

Guest loopyonion

Vosa IVA tester said it was 3 years, but it's the choice of now arguing with numerous departments who's answer will be...-- go and mot, it's simpler than pursuing this.. Or, take the opportunity to set up the brake bias and emissions, and go the long way to the test centre. ??

Going to sleep on it, and make the call. I don't want to loose hours of my life in phone calls!

Guest loopyonion

Think I see a problem... If I look at the chassis number on the car, and Vosa docs, it's correct. However, the DVLA reg document differs by a digit 9 instead of a 7...! ( i should of spotted this, and not just filed the v5 without checking thoroughly..!)

Going on the last post.. They cocked up!

Call to dvla in the morning, see if it can be sorted!!

If the two don't match, between Vosa and dvla then that could be the problem.

Guest loopyonion

Vosa say it's dvla issue after half an hour, and by numerous transferrs.. Ringing dvla, numerous transferrs later.. They say it's ????? That's right! Vosa..;)

Vosa say that Dvla can just remove the 3 year requirement without telling you at any point?

So, I'm told by Dvla that there is a form V112 self declaration of no MOT required, this allows my to tax it with the v5. ;)

Next, I have to write to dvla who will investigate and sort the chassis number, and enclise my iva pass certificate copy ( so glad i made one!!) then send me the logbook back in 2-4 weeks.

Then, to check that the database between vosa and dvla are correct, it should then be ok. However, neither vosa or dvla can tell me whether the car needs an MOT?? but you can check online yourself I believe.!

It maybe the police have access to more information, maybe I ask a nice police person to PNC the vehicle?? Lol.

Guest mkeats02

Are you thinking you don't need an MOT for 3 yrs? As you may find that is not the case. I only got 1year after SVA. In theory only new reg cars should get 3yrs. age related have a note on the v5 saying not from new parts and should get 1 according to DVLA. Seems to be luck of the draw as some people do get 3 others like me get 1. DVLA don't know what on earth is going on but if it says you need an mot after 1 year you won't get far - 'sorry sir the system says you need it'

good luck.

I required MOT after my 1st year on the road

• 5 months later...

Just ressurecting an older post as I'm having some issues sorting out my tax which is due at the end of the month. My IVA was passed in October 2011 and I put 6 months tax on when it was first registered in November. I've just had my tax reminder through but I can't tax the car because the DVLA say I need an MOT.

The DVLA website referred me to the MOT line which I phoned and this turned out to be VOSA, who told me no MOT was due for 3 year after an IVA and said I needed to speak to (you guessed it), the DVLA. I phoned the DVLA who basically said the car was first registered in 1989 so it needed an MOT.

Obviously I'm not going to get any sense out of either VOSA or the DVLA so I'm going to try taxing it at the Post Office and use the V112 form (Declaration of Exemption from MOT Testing) and see what happens. I don't have the V5 with me at the moment so I'm not sure if it has any notes on it specifically relating to the MOT dates but if I can get 12 months tax on it at the Post Office, I'll deal withe the DVLA fallout later.

Back in time when I SVA'd mine I only took 6 months tax first time. Post office wouldn't re-tax as it needed MOT. Didn't know about V112 in those days and Exeter DVLA sorted it after a phone call. (They still had the man with the brain cell working there at the time but he has since retired.) This leads me to believe DVLA are responsible for making the decision about your car needing MOT. However they do seem to just accept without question a V112 if you send one. I have never heard or read the definitive legal declaration by DVLA of the kit car MOT 6month to three year question. You can only do what you feel is right. 6month and an MOT is the least likely to cause problems with a V112.

Nigel

Tax sorted at the Post Office with a V112, I just declared the car as made in 2011 in Section 3 of the form and they never batted an eye. In 5 minutes I was out of the place witha 12 months tax disc (and £220 lighter). I am expecting some correspondance from the DVLA because they didn't keep the V112, they just did a visual check but I can deal with any fall-out later.

I also double checked with VOSA and they confirmed fthe irst MOT is due 3 years after IVA but also said that DVLA can sometimes request an MOT before that. More proof if ever it was needed that no-one seems to understand the correct procedure.

V112 is attached.

V112.pdf

Confusion reigns as ever with the DVLA then.....

For the record, I registered and taxed mine for 6 months 3 months after its IVA pass.

When the tax expired I sorned it until March when I simply typed the ref number from the V5C into the online

Tax application and all was good... Tax disc in the post 4 days later.

It definitely does seem a case of various jobsworths making up there own rules on a whim with untold problems

then created for us lot! :(