Pda Excel Help

Snapperpaul

Whilst trying to add some info to my CF card it froze up and like a div i removed it. Most of the data is OK or has been recovered but of course the vital stuff is corupted.

I have all the time and cost data for my build in one Pocket Excel spreadsheet and i now can't open it.

Any ideas from the computer experts please.

I thought the synchronise function was supposed to do that, but no, i have a back up version from exactly one year ago.

I have a file that i can't open and wondered if there was any thoughts on how to get this to open.

As for comments about backing up not very bl**ding helpful are they.

The PDA is suppose to syncronise every time it is connected to the computer and i was copying the CF card to the Mac when the card froze up.

Syncronise only updates appointsments etc. I believe, not backup. You will need a file recovery program of some sort, there are a number of free ones out there that work on SD/CF cards etc. but these are mostly for photos. I hate to say it but the chances are it's gone to the digital heaven in the sky.... unless pocket excel makes a backup? (Can't see an option on my pda)

I have a copy of the file i want to reinstate it is the correct size for the file i lost, it just won't open.

I also ran it through a data recovery program, thats how i recovered most of the data, i thought i was safe but the pocket excel spreadsheet was the one thing that failed to work.

The CF card is now a lost cause and no original data remains.

I think now it's more about the missing bits of the data in the spreadsheet. Possibly the file tag but from here on i am beyond my skill level.

If anyone knows a company that could at least have a look then i am prepaired to pay.

It is only the data on hours and cost of the build but it means a lot to me.

Try a local reputable computer company, they may well be able to point you in the right direction. I know what you mean, its not life or death stuff but it is invaluable. I lost some data like that a few years ago, had to wipe my comp and start again so backed a load of college work up onto a cd and the damn thing corrupted :(

Ok, I just checked this out... IF in MS Sync you have the option "Tools->Options->Files" selected then the files ARE copied to you pc. That is your first check.

As for the file, it maybe the same size, but if the FAT is corrupted then it can still be total rubbish :( There are a number of data recovery people who advertise ont he net, but tbh you are going to be looking at the £100 mark I would think (Mostly for time).

Hi Paul

Try opening it on you pc (pda only run a cut down ver of excel)

Try adding .xls to the file name

Try opening it in another program ie Word .doc ( it will not be a spread sheet but you may get the data)

A good recovery program is Image Recovery.

And like others DO a backup, a good pda backup program Sprite Pocket Backup, you can backup to pc, pda, memory card, stick, etc.

If you have trouble finding the above programs PM me.

Cheers Kevin