2ltr Injection Camshaft Into 1.6?

agent_zed

Hi,

thinking of putting a 2ltr injection camshaft into my 1.6 e-max pinto.

Is this ok to do? i had a feeling the camshafts are the same in the 2ltr carb and injection engines but don't know for sure.

and will it be ok in the e-max?

also do i need the followers for the 2ltr? for some reason ive got it in my head that i do.

thanks in advance

brilliant thanks guys. well i've bought one now (thanks Steve_wilson) so will have the fun of fitting it over winter along with new valve seals, felpro gasket to increase cr or skim, bit of home porting (nothing too extreme), possibly new ex manifold and maybe bike carbs. hoping to get at least a 5hp increase after all that :)

actually does anyone know what that lot would likely give in return realistically? i know its not going to be giving me 150hp at the wheels but what am i likely to achieve - 76? 85-90? 90-95? or 0 when i break something putting it together...

i know i know i should just drop a 2ltr in but wheres the fun in that (and my insurance would go up) :)

thanks

I did similar things when I used to have a 1.6 in my old S7. I had the earlier short stroke 1.6 (not the emax) and it did make a noticeable difference, especially porting.

What I used to like about it, even with the (probably) 80 - 85bhp max, was its thrashability - drive it hard and still not break too many limits!

I did let temptation get the better of me in the end though, and dropped a 2l in.

Enjoy the tinkering.

thanks guys.

i think i'm going to tinker with this engine for fun and to learn a bit and when i get bored i think i'll probably get a zetec as i like the idea of 16v. although i do like being behind the pinto.

What does the 2ltr camshaft do? more lift? longer/shorter duration? differnt timing?

thanks

thanks baj25 and Peter for suggesting the article, thats an interesting article and makes sense as to why the power would come higher up the rev range with more overlap.

Will i need to adjust my ignition timing at all? think iam on 10 degrees static at the moment, i know some people run 14-16ish but i assume they have fancier cams and other stuff that requires it. Ive read on the NW site about modding the dizzy to change the curve, is this any point for the level iam working at, or will the effect be minimal? prob going to get the head skimmed when i take it off and increase the CR a bit.

thanks again

The static timing should be no less than 10 no more than 20 at idle for any cam.

10 for your new cam should be fine but you can push it to 12 without problem.

You should measure timing at 3500 and it should be no more than 38 with vacuum disconnected.

Moving a dizzy at static will move the advance at 3,500

With such a mild cam even if it is better than the 1.6 one will not require modding the dizzy.

Increasing the compression ratio is a good move, with a mild cam probably no more than 10.2 to 1 for unleaded, A felpro gasket will move compression by +0.5 skim head to make up the rest.

To accurately calculate compression ratio you need to know how far down the bore the piston is at TDC, usually 0.5mm possibly less, you need to know the crushed thinness of the gasket, 1.6mm standard, 1.3 Rhienz, 1mm Felpro, then the combustion chamber volume in the head, something around 38cc fir a 1.6, last measurement is the bore you can use the figures from the Haynes manual but should check for accuracy

Edited by Snapperpaul