Would An Mx5 Engine And Box Fit Straight In A 2B?

agent_zed

Did a quick search but haven't seen any threads so apologies if been asked before but does the mx5 engine and box fit in the 2b?

be a long time before i can change but seem like a good option at a good price

Did a quick search but haven't seen any threads so apologies if been asked before but does the mx5 engine and box fit in the 2b?

be a long time before i can change but seem like a good option at a good price

I'll be watching this, as I like the idea of a small lightweight engine in the 2B, The mx5, toyota or Nissan engines all look like good engines to fit, but I imagine the wiring would be difficult.

I believe Zach has an MX5 engine in his Zero (unsure about the gearbox): http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/2013_02_01_archive.html

If it fits a tiny Zero, then I imagine it would fit in a 2B, especially when I look under my 2B and see a hulking A4LD gearbox wedged in the tunnel :)

Having worked on a pinto powered RH 2B at uni for a project, I would be fairly confident the engine would fit without any issues. As for the gearbox, I do not know the enough about the differences between the Zero/2B tunnel nor the gearboxes in question so reckon the gearbox could be a stumbling point. However the MX5 boxes are not huge....

• Like 1

Guest mower man

I would imagine it will be a little more than an afternoons job but as said the box may be a bit of a headache but Im sure with some thoughti it would be a goer rmember though you will need

a lower diff ratio 3.9 /4.1 to get the best out of the engine they love rpm and are a little flat below 3000rpm but brilliant out to 7500 ish [ this is std not blown ] mick

Looking across the forums, it seems the mx5 (6 speed) gearbox is far wider than the type 9,

But the mx5 (5 speed) is the one that most people look for.as supposed to be a lot slimmer.

Bit of an interesting read here about a Mazda duratec engine and type 9 vs 6 speed vs 5 speed gearboxes:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=194900

Other things discussed is the angle of the gearbox and the hydraulic clutch :search:

IIRC the 6 speed does not offer much of a bonus over the 5speed. Admittedly when cruising in the MX5 (1.6 mk1 5speed - same as the one in the Zero) you tend to find at 3-4k rpm you want another gear, however I'm fairly sure the 6speed ratios don't actually improve this? Plus 6 speed boxes are over £200 if not more whereas a decent 5 speed can be bought for less than £50 :)

I considered a 6speed with my V6 swap (if it ever gets started) however the price to source one was ridiculous and the benefits didn't appear to be that great either.

Try this for gearbox ratios:

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S8_Gears.html

Edited by WallerZ

what diff am i likely to have. Its from the 1.6 pinto sierra with 5 speed box and push in shafts? 3.6:1?

I'm quite surprised no one has not done this before to be honest. If i did it i'd go for a 1.6 as ~115bhp is more than enough for my needs. I assume it would be lighter than the pinto/type 9 too.

I guess it comes down to whether a zetec is the easier route but the 1.6 is only 90bhp i think which doesn't seem like a big improvement over the pintos 75.

If this is the correct pic (random google image search)

JDM_USED_ENGINE_WITH_GEARBOX_FOR_CAR.jpg

then the box looks pretty narrow to me

ah so maybe the 1.6 zetec doesn't look so bad then. wonder which is more work.

both would need

-new engine mounts

-engine management

-exhaust

mx5 would speciically need

- new gearbox mount

- new prop?altered 2b prop?

-shortened sump? might be ok as is?

Zetec would specifically need

- clutch parts

- spigot?

- starter

- water pump?

- water rail

- shortened sump

have i forgotten something?

cool thanks for the info. i guess either way it will be expensive but adding into the mix i guess is the likely hood of being able to get parts in the future. Gearboxes for the mx5 are around £100 from what i can see whereas a type 9 seem more expensive if you can get a good one.

might do a bit of measuring (and dreaming)

Guest mower man

After spending some time replumbing my mx5 clutch yesterday I think a mazda box would rattle around in a hood chassis ,ok no measurements were taken but I dont think its any bigger than a type 9 around the bell hsg but may well be longer so mounts and g/lever holes may well not match its all alloy too so will be lighter asa bonus mick :crazy: