Build Sequence

Guest bensgrandad98

Sorry Col,

But floor, then rear axle, so you can then move it around like a wheel barrow, then front suspention and then engine, this way if you have little space in the garage it can be pushed out on the drive for more room.

Worked for me,

Mitch

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry
but having wached the 4 SUB K build videos at least 9 times.

I've heard of proper preparation before - but that surely deserves an award.

once you have slotted the engine and gearbox in, you move the chassis on floor to engine not the other way round.

Unless I've misunderstood your proposal, I find it difficult to see how you slide the chassis along the floor. Surely the engine and gearbox would need to be clear of the floor to avoid contact with the various cross tubes on the chassis.

Also once you've got the engine & gearbox fitted the chassis is going to be heavy and make fitting the rear "axle" difficult.

I know mine is a series 3, however i got it rolling very early. it makes so much difference rolling on the driveway if you have only got a small garage.

Without engine, gearbox and diff, weighs very little. I dummy fitted the engine and gearbox, then took it out and it has not been back for some time. also removed diff and fuel tank, nose and rear arches. may even remove scuttle again.

Get it rolling soon as, then don't do anything too permanent until you really need to. You wil have to remove things more times than you realise.

Guest chris brown
I find it difficult to see how you slide the chassis along the floor.
Me too Terry. I agree get the chassis on to its wheels as soon as possible then lift the engine in by either hiring or borrowing a engine hoist or as I did use sheer legs with a block and tackle just hoist up the engine and box and roll the chassis under it. I wouldn’t try fitting it without a hoist even if you do have several strong mates as you may be surprised (or not) how many times it has to be put in and out to get it just right.

As for fitting the manifold that is some way off as the side panels are quite a way down the line.

Guest crwoodford
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

Thanks Guys.. I was hoping someone would put me right. :D

And I kid you not when saying I watched each of the 4 SUB K DVD's certainly 9 Times. :o

I am currently compiling a list of 'Pho Pars' on the video's to share with you, for example,

"We all know what half of 33 is.. it's 17 and a half".
at that point the 'Camera Person' who is a woman corrects the presenter. :lol:

And in fairness me not knowing the difference between a 2B and my Sub K which does not have a cross member? Eeeeek!! should it have? I will know in future to keep my gob firmly shut and keep to what I know.

Which is 'not a lot', thought I'd say that before someone else does. :p

Guest Battery Bill

Col

I am currently compiling a list of 'Pho Pars' on the video's to share with you, for example

Nothing could quite match the classic :

"Do not allow Children or animals in the garage" Warning.

Then you see Richard kneeling over a Bonnet section, and his hulking big Rotweiler bimbles past him then you hear an almighty clatter as a load of Steel panels hit the floor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic

Wonder if I would get £500 for a "You've been framed" :lol: :lol:

Guest Alan_builder

B)

Hi bensgrandad98

Battery Bill is correct, all builds are different, there are reasons often unique to the builder.

We have a 2B/04 so not quite the same as a superspec.

Store the skin and fiberglass bits. We used over 0.5 of an extra sheet of SS.

We put the front suspension in first. We could lift the back and wheel the build in and out of the garage (rented council micro garage)(drive an astra in and you can't get out of the car). The torque tube and back axel are too heavy to lift when in the chassis.

Steering rack. (to stop the front wheels turning left and right one each way). Steering column.

Torque tube and differential.

Floor then passenger compartment rear.

Engine and gearbox with prop.

Drivers side of the tunnel and footwell. Leave the passenger side off so you can fit in the brake lines, petrol and electrics, in order, bottom to top - Things do go wrong, the electrics won't drip on any thing and catch fire; petrol can drip on the brake pipes which can stand a petrol wash.

Now you have the choice what to fit, and where you wan't the miriad of items to go, battery, brake pedals/ servo, heater, radiator, fan, swirl pot, instruments, washer bottle, fuse box. All these have an input on the electrics water and brake fluid and the sequence.

Take a look at the speedo cable and a 90 degree drive.

That should be a good start for the first 3 months by which time I will expand my web below.

I :wub: my RH

Guest TerryBarry

As the poster stated =

As a complete newbie, can anyone please help to get me started on my 2B Plus

So we are dealing with a 2B+

There are as many ways of building a Robin Hood as "peeling a potato - well that's got to be fairly PC"

I would suggest the following proceedure:

Floor pan

Rear suspension [ Now handles like a wheel barrow]

Front suspension [ Now handles like a wheel barrow with steering]

From this point re-post and more help [than you can point a stick at] will be available

Guest STEVE OXON

sorry terry, but what are you doing up at 02.30am????

but i agree with you.

floor pan.

lift chassis onto a couple of 2 ft trestles , fit front susp.

steering and pedals

take off trestles .fit onto rear susp etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

steve

Guest TerryBarry
sorry terry, but what are you doing up at 02.30am????

Hi Steve,

Nothing special - quess who'd nodded off watching the box.

Now with 24/7 TV programming they don't broadcast the Testcard and that irritating tone to wake you up at a reasonable hour.

I made up for it the following morning though :D

Guest Lotus Eater
As a complete newbie, can anyone please help to get me started on my 2B Plus. The one thing a numpty like me needs from the videos is a build sequence, I watched for nearly an hour on how to assemble two front suspension systems, neither of which I have, (Wish Bones) then on to the boot lids!!!! Having watched all videos several times I can't work out a sequence. I am thinking floor pan, rear suspension, front suspension, engine and gearbox, pedal box and brake servo unit, then steering. How am I doing?? :boohoo:

:D

Try www.colinusher.info

Cheers