Radiator In A S7

Guest madmax

A new hoodie named karl is building a 7a with pinto and is having a problem fitting the radiator in. Do we have a member in the cannock, staffordshire area who has a series 7 that he can com and see? Thanks Colin

Hello Everyone (New member alert)

I am the Muppet who needs help with thw RAD, after looking at your replies I seem to have a lot less room infront of the engine than most, I don't know why BUT I realy like the advice from Salty_Monk (Cool name) on fitting the RAD in the nose cone.

It will be a few weeks before I can post on here as I have only filled the forms in today.

Thanks for your advice

Cheers

Karl.

It will be a few weeks before I can post on here

Joining Rhocar (the club) and joining the board are separate things and you have managed to post on here and can post as often as needed. When your membership of the club comes through you get access to members only items but most of it is open.

Nigel

Guest MJThewlis

Attached photo of radiator as supplied with kit in May! This is a tight fit but does work ... and will work better with a fixed nose cone / scuttle and lift off bonnet modification! Fan fits on above cross members leaving reasonable looking flow from the nosecone throguh the bottom half of the radiator.

post-1992-1165449941_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Karl. Good luck with the rest of your build - one of our Leicestershire members successfully got his S7 through SVA earlier this year so there will be plenty of advice available as you progress - or is the car already on the road and undergoing a rebuild?

Andy

Thanks Guys

The Rad is in, Mounted at about 70 degrees ish! with a 12inch elec fan kit mounted behind it. Looks good just need to find a cortina tank for it now.

I am sure I will be back with loads of quetions soon, I have along way to go but am hoping to be ready for SVA by May (2007??)

Cheers Karl.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pwlcarz

Hi Andy

I know this is an oldish topic but the following might help some other builder....

I had a couple of instances back in the summer with the Rad boiling up on the S7. I think this is because almost a third of the radiator is obstructed by the chassis/tub and front suspension. The original radiator is not "man" enough in my humble opinion. I fitted an auxiliary electric fan in the nose (off a Honda Civic I believe) which helped a little but I still wasn't fully comfortable with it (I had planned to replace the viscous fan completely but with the gap between the Rad and engine boss quite tight, I couldn't get an electric fan thin enough to fit).

In the end I bit the bullet and bought a Coolman Rad from RHE at the Exeter show.

I contemplated putting the Coolman in the nose but in the end decided to put it in the same position as the original Rad.

Sorting out the hoses was a bit of a problem, but I've just completed fitting everything over the Xmas break.

1st hose problem was that the original Rad had the hose connections at right angles to the Rad, whereas the Coolman one has them coming straight out. The other issue is that the outlet on the water pump requires a hose of 41mm ID and the Rad connection is 32mm.

I plumped for 38mm convoluted hoses (I was assurred they would "stretch" over the water pump outlet) and bought some 38 - 32mm internal reducers from CBS. Unfortunately this was a wrong decision - the bend radius was still too tight hoses and even the convoluted hose was constricting at the apex of the bend.

Scouring the catalogues from CNS, Europa, Merlin and Burton, I eventually decided to go the silicone hose route but still couldn't find exactly what was needed for the bottom hose. A phone call to Europa resolved the problem perfectly - they would make a 90 degree bend with 6 inch tails - 41mm ID at one end and 32mm at the other. A similar hose with 32mm ID at both ends would serve as the top hose (so I thought). Order was placed with Europa on the Monday before Christmas and were delivered Saturday. Great Service from Europa!

The bottom hose fitted perfectly with just 1 inch cut off the 32mm end.

The next problem was of my own making - I miss-measured the length of the top hose by 2 inches! However this was relatively easy to resolve by purchasing an aluminium hose joiner from Merlin Motorsport.

The radiator expansion bottle has been relocated into the nose using a fabricated bracket.

All now fitted, the usual minor leaks sorted and an airlock in the heater circuit easily resolved.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the chance.

Best Regards