2B Wishbone Conversion

Guest j bick

Dear All

I'm pleased to say that I was the first to order the new GBSC upgrade from sliding pillars to wishbones.

You will recall they offered to fit it free to the first customer, enabling them to sort out the details of how to convert an already-built car, and to get the geometry right.

My car- ''Old Smokey ' to his friends, has been away a while but is expected home on Tuesday complete with new wishbone suspension. I also ordered the coilovers for the rears,on special offer when you buy the fronts, so he should be completely transformed now.

Throughout the conversion he has been the prototype, and I have had regular phone calls from Richard at the works to discuss what they are doing and how its going.

I know they have taken photographs of the job, and have said they will be producing a set of instructions with dimensions, for the diy customers to follow.

As far as I can ascertain, this upgrade features the present thinking that is in the new Hood.

For instance, you get GAZ or AVO shocks, you get bottom ball joints that are held in place by three bolts and locking nuts , so they are not the unscrewing type, and you get the latest cycle wing brackets which overcome the former weakness in this area, as per the Hood.

Your headlights remain on the same plate, which is left in place and incorporated as the top shocker mount after bracing from the top tube.

Of the 8 mounting points for the wishbones, four are created using U channel across the front. The other four are created with individual mountings that are saddle shaped and welded to the tubes both aroung the tube and along it.

You get replacement front infill panels to finish the sides once the suspension is assembled.

You get and extension piece for the steering rack, and it fits the correct sierra rod end ball joints, so you won't be reusing those that never fitted properly before ( remember the bit about waggling the drill in the hole to fake a taper ??? )

Please note that in addition to the kit, you will also need replacement front hubs ( you cut off the ball joint hole when you built the sliding pillar up ), and you may need longer brake flexibles, as the front is now wider than before.

I don't think these two items are going to be in the kit, but you can buy them from GBSC if you want.

I know quite a lot of owners are interested in this conversion, because many of you have mailed me to ask how it is going.

I intend to post pictures on here after getting Old Smokey home, so look for my thread later in the week.

Richard has told me that he is making up some kits now to meet the first wave of orders, put your name down if you want one.

I will be at Stoneleigh and happy to show the conversion to anyone who asks, maybe even on the GBSC stand if they ask me to, and Smokey will be at the next Thames Valley meet on March 14th.

Below is a list of the kit contents, as received from Richard a few days ago, and printed with his permission.

Here I have to make the usual disclaimer though, as I am only a customer of GBSC, I'm not on commission, and not in their employ. If I have made any errors they are unintentional and I cannot be personally liable for. You should always check the full facts with GBSC if in doubt about what you get for your money.

However, I believe this new venture under the banner of GBSC deserves a chance to succeed, so I am more than happy to help promote this conversion product in good faith.

A kit to convert your sliding pillar model to double wishbone

Kit includes

front set of AVO or GAZ coilovers

8" springs powder coated black to suit

full bush kit including inner and outer tubes

pair of transit ball joints

new bottom ball joints

lock nuts

m10 x 80 long bolts and nylock nuts and other suspension bolts

two lower wishbones

two upper wishbones

shock absorber mounting brackets

fixing brackets for chassis

stainless infill panels

new style stronger/ lighter stub axle adapter with wing bracket

£ 525

We will also offer rear shocks, powder coated springs and mounting brackets to fully transform your sliding pillar 2b at a discounted rate of £150

we will also be offering to do the conversion from £300 we will need to see the car prior to the conversion taking place.

At present we have not seen if it will fit a sub k that is something we are looking into.

I hope this update is helpful to those who have been waiting for news.

Regards

John.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

john and others,

I have now collected my converted 2b from the works at GBS.

The wishbone conversion from sliding pillar looks and drives a quantum leap better.

I will soon be putting pics up for all to see,

For those who have any specific questions, please PM me and I will endeavour to address those points too.

john and others,

I have now collected my converted 2b from the works at GBS.

The wishbone conversion from sliding pillar looks and drives a quantum leap better.

I will soon be putting pics up for all to see,

For those who have any specific questions, please PM me and I will endeavour to address those points too.

If these fit a sub K, I want some :D

Edited by macca

You can but ask, Macca. :) Give em a ring .

BTW, I see you're in Binley , we passed close by yesterday on our way home.

I was born in Cov and went to Whitley Abbey, is it still there ?

Ok here goes.............These are pics taken during the collection of the car ( recognise the yard ? ).

Basically everything outboard of the chassis is as per the present 2b spec, so the interest lies in where and how it is attached to an existing chassis.

After removing front wheels and hubs etc, they removed the front infill panels and cut off the fake bones, except for the headlamp platforms.

Two lengths of U-section are inserted across the car ahead of the radiator to create the upper and lower front mounting points, four in all.

The rears are individual saddle shaped mountings welded to the chassis tube both around and along the tube. Sorry they are not so easy to see in these pics , I will take new ones if anyone wants close ups.

Note the use of the headlamp platform support tube as the upper shocker mounting. It has added bracing for strength.

It was all done with the engine and radiator in situ.

I don't know what else to add at this stage, so please just ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

more........

post-67-1172168729_thumb.jpg

post-67-1172168775_thumb.jpg

post-67-1172168802_thumb.jpg

post-67-1172168899_thumb.jpg

post-67-1172168925_thumb.jpg

Guest ScotMac

Looks good...especially like how the top of the shock is mounted a ways *out* from the chassis, giving it a nice angle for the shock.

BTW, what is the weight of the springs? Mine are 300#, and i am a bit worried that they might be too strong. :unsure: :unsure:

And none of the l/w'ers will tell me what theirs are (Graham??? ;) ).

You can but ask, Macca. :) Give em a ring .

BTW, I see you're in Binley , we passed close by yesterday on our way home.

I was born in Cov and went to Whitley Abbey, is it still there ?

Yeah I think its still there, I've deffinitely heard of it :blink: