Coolman Rad Cap

Snapperpaul

I left the engine for a few weeks while dealing with other isues and water just poured out of the rad cap overflow pipe when it was cold. Cleaned up the cap and similar happened quickly.

I am assuming its a new cap and the one the one on there sayes " 08 Kg CM2" which i think is about 11 to 12 Ibs sq inch.

Sounds a bit low to me, however what cap do i need to buy to replace it?

Guest mark kingston

both a friend of mine and i brought a couple of coolman rads from RHE and they both came with caps which did not fit properly and needed replacing.

the caps would some times seal but some times not as the fit between the neck and the cap was very close and if the cap screwed down a little excentric then the seal part hit the side and did not seal on the designed face.

Guest salty_monk

I had to beat my coolman one around a bit to get a good seal & fill up the centre "well" over the rivet with araldite.....

Halfords do the replacements. About 3 quid from memory.

Dan :)

make sure you've not got an air lock, that would spit a lot of water out when it expanded. I've drained and refilled my car many times and not had that problem tho!

Replacement caps are usually 13psi, so that is unlikely to make much difference, it suggest there's a problem elsewhere

Paul,

I fitted a QH FC52 cap after consulting the forums. It's a 13psi cap with suck back. It's only slightly higher pressure than standard 0.8 bar cap, but after fitting it I had quite a few leaks from hose connections, so that little bit definitely makes a difference! I'm not saying this is necessarily the cause of your problem, but there's a lot of folks with them fitted to coolman rads that swear by them. Even if yours is stuck open, I can't see why it would flood out when cold though- I (and quite a few others) fill/bleed the system by running it with the cap off until the stat opens, and nothing comes out. HTH, Brian