To Carpet Or Not To Carpet?

Joel

Does a 'real' mans garage have carpet on the floor, or is that just one step away from wearing a sarong and owning a handbag, a la Beckham?

Parents are ditching their lounge carpet in favour of some fancy laminate flooring, and the old carpet would be perfect for my garage floor. Have to say I'm tempted after years of lying on cold concrete, and with my knees shot to pieces.

Anyone else gone for the soft option? :D

Guest Ian & Carole

Joel

Great for working on ! :D

However avoid putting a dripping car away in a carpeted garage as the heat from the car as it drips onto your axminster will create condensation and a rusty car in no time at all. :o :o

We have carpet but only when working on the car.

Unless yours is a "only used in the dry" type car like some are, avoid "Fitted carpet"

Ours sems to spend every trip covered in rain and other crud.

When we got back from the "Tan Hill" run I had to power wash it to remove Dales mud and sheep s**t :spiteful:

Sorry Rich just my opinion. -_- :sorry: :sorry:

Ian J

Guest chris brown
Joel

When we got back from the "Tan Hill" run I had to power wash it to remove Dales mud and sheep s**t :spiteful:

Ian J

Come down and do mine Ian. It's still got all the sheep s**t on it. Adds character.

As for the carpet yes take it and cut it into strips about a yard wide and keep it rolled up at the back of the garage then just roll out a strip or two when working

:rolleyes: Hi all; this old electrician totaled his knees during a lifetime of wiring other peoples pads so on retirement fitted his workshop wall to wall with foam rubber "carpet" from Machine Mart. IT'S LOVELY where-ever I kneel is soft & warm-- makes a horrible stink when welding though so cover with hardboard in local area; water just sits on top so is easily cleaned-up. Cost was approx £250 for 28 x 14 total floor , & your tools bounce -- but may-be that's too much info. Regards Bob Fry. :lazy:

Oh! Darlings... carpet is so last year, Bamboo flooring is tough waterproof and with some cerise wall covering and low floor lighting.....................

And there i am outside on concrete with a gazebo if the wind is low.

Mind you i am sitting in the new extention that replaced the garage with a beer in my hand, with a big tv, central heating, carpet, leather sofa bed, 70 bottles of single malt and room for a set of wide doors in the front wall........ now theres a thought.

Guest Quantox

Carpet is great when kneeling down to work on the car (bike) but it retains a huge amount of dust, pine needles, leaves and other sh*te that blows in under the door.

After many years of "carpeted" work I have now painted the garage floor to stop the concrete "dusting" issue and just use odd lumps of carpet for kneeling and to catch the oil drips etc. iI's much easier to sweep the floor and keep it clean and if the car (bike) is wet then I just turn on the radiator to dry things out. Have to be careful not to overheat the wine stash though.

Regards

Q

Guest Dan_Beeston

Go for it matey, then it will be nice and comfy when we get round to sorting out the wierd Dizzy problem on your old man's toy!

(I will get over there soon, I promise!!!........................)

Personally I wouldn’t carpet it. I painted/sealed mine a few years back and it is much better to work in now. I use a camping roll up mat if I need to lie down for a job, and have several pieces of the same stuff sandwiched together for kneeling down jobs. My knees have suffered from the same cause as Bobsworth, and this makes a big difference. Just my 2-pen’orth. Brian

Guest peter2b2002

if you are near buckingham i have just re carpeted our living room, i found having carpet on the garage floor during my build was great no sore knees or scratched pannels, no good for parking on though gets damp.

pete2b

still got all the sheep s**t on it. Adds character.

Haha, very much like mine. I drove through a very muddy layby in wales, and the car got caked! I got told off at work for having a car so dirty. I couldn't understand what they meant, i only washed it a month before!

Although i have noticed, cow *bleep* really does stick, it should be used for glue!

Guest vacinc

i think we all like are creature comforts, me ? rugs , love them, on a friday night after a few beers i"d take a nap on the floor, not that im tired are anything like that. more the fact that im pished, ps nothing to be proud off, but you do need a wee blow out every now and again (weekly does me) "o" and by the way today is friday ? carpet here i come zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz