Bottom Hose- Which One?

baj25

I seem to keep getting a water leak where the bottom hose connects to the water pump. I’ve only noticed it happening when I stop the engine when its above normal temperature (normal for me is about 78, leaks occur maybe 85 plus), but I guess it could be happening in slow traffic as well. The previous builder didn’t use a one piece hose from rad to pump, but put a metal connecting piece in the hose, and the hose is quite a sloppy fit on the water pump before the jubilee clip is tightened up. Is the bottom hose listed on NW site (QH RAH1145) a ‘fits all’ solution without modification? If jointed hose is common, what hose will fit from connector to pump? Engine is Pinto, rad is coolman, in a 2B. TIA, Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm pretty sure the bottom hose is std Sierra. As you say though it won't stretch all the way to the bottom connection on the rad. A photo or two would be good, but it sounds like the intermediate joining piece is of insufficient diameter (if that's where it's leaking). I resorted to going down to my local plumbers mechants and getting a piece of copper thit just fit snug inside the hose. Sorry, I can't remember the diameter (38mm ??). Anyway if you measure the inside diameter of the hose, that'll be what you'll need. I also araldited some olives onto the copper.

If the Hose is not snug onto the Water Pump, then my guess would be that the hose is incorrect in the first place. I'd kake the hose off and measure at the water pump. Then you'll know what you're after.

Hope this helps.

Guest thedog561

I have a sub-k so it may not be the same, but after trying some "gates" hoses on ebay i bought a flexible hose from halfords which did the job. The people in there had no idea but after I rifled through there shelves I found one with the two different sized ends I required and it does the job although its a little long. In the meantime I saw and ordered a quinton hazell RH 1151 which I havent tried fitting but is identical to the unit on the car when I bought it so if you can find one of those it may be suitable but I do not know how similar the 2B and sub-k are

Found the cause of the latest leak- the hose clip had cut through the hose (again). I think that this was caused by the hose not being quite square on the tube. So, still having not had chance to get a new hose, and with a NW Hoodie meeting tonight (and being a tightwad), I cut off the damaged end of hose (and sliced a finger, ouch, anyone want to buy a guitar?) and tried to refit it. After ½ an hour I gave up, but a question occurred to me- are the ends of hoses reinforced where the clips will fit, or can you do as I have done and chop bits off and still use them? Just asking because this is the second time I’ve had a clip damage a ‘customised’ hose. Also, how snug a fit should the hose be on the fitting before the clip is tightened? If I could get a part number for a corrugated bottom hose as offered, that would be great. Cheers, Brian

Hi Brian,

It'll be OK to cut the hose. It'll be uniform throughout.

It really does sound like the hose you have is too big. Do you have any other hose at your disposal?

Without the clip, the hose should be a tight'ish slip on. Just an idea for a temporary fix (and I don't know if this would work) but maybe you could wrap some self amalgamating tape around the metal pipe, in order to take up the slop and then try and tighten that all up????

Sorted. Thanks for all info. Ended up with a flexible hose about 1m long, so I've got some slack ready for the mid-engine conversion! It has increased coolant capacity by about 2 pints! It was the only one available from Partco Wigan- they told me that 'nobody stocks hoses much these days, go to a main dealer'. Fingers crossed for a dry garage floor for a while. Brian

No, never go to main dealer for hoses, and Partco are only 1 step up from Halfrauds.

Go to a small motorspares shop, give them the number and they'll order it in for you, in a couple of days you'll have the correct hose.

I personally don't like those "flexable" hoses, they're OK for urgent repairs, but the water should FLOW through a hose, not be bounced around on the convolutions

Jim,

I tried the local store first, who are normally great and can get their hands on anything, and they told me that they don't stock any and could only get common stuff 'like corsas' these days. I must admit I was surprised, as I remember seeing loads of hoses in places in the past. I gave them the QH bottom hose part number listed on the NW site, and they said that none of their suppliers stock it. Maybe hoses last longer these days? Brian

Ebay list this one amongst others which is the standard cortina bottom hose hose(200147867734). At least it fits pinto to cortina rad which covers most robin hoods pre 2B and the coolman rad.

There is another here (200147213749) which does the bend and reduces from 38 to 32mm, just needing a straight length to connect to the coolman.

Nigel

Links wont work?

Jim,

I tried the local store first, who are normally great and can get their hands on anything, and they told me that they don't stock any and could only get common stuff 'like corsas' these days. I must admit I was surprised, as I remember seeing loads of hoses in places in the past. I gave them the QH bottom hose part number listed on the NW site, and they said that none of their suppliers stock it. Maybe hoses last longer these days? Brian

Next time, phone Top Gear up in Chorley (on Pall Mall) or Wheels (on Eaves lane) either of those will get it for you, it might take a couple of days, but they'll get one.