Diferential Oil Plug

Graham385

Guest chris brown
Hi,

Does anyone know what size the Sierra diff oil level plug is. Mine is very tight and I do not want to damage the plug by using a tool that nearly fits!

I suspect it's not metric?

Cheers

Graham

I had to replace the back cover on mine as the plug was so tight it broke the cover rather than undoing.

Guest salty_monk

Ha... I've never had any hassle with those plugs. Allen key socket on a big bar & a bit of swearing & out they come. It's a metric Allen size from memory. Possibly 8mm or 10mm.

A bit of heat & some penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either.

Dan :)

Guest timswait

I think it's metric. I just had issues with the one on my 'new' diff that had been chewed up to buggery. Cut a slot in it with an angle grinder, hammered a cold chisel into it and then put an impact wrench on the chisel. That got it! I've been borrowing my friend's garge and he has a compressor and impact wrench and it's brilliant for this sort of thing.

Guest ScotMac
I'm sure mine was a star drive of some sort T40 i think

Exactly...i thought all those case bolts were torx. Mine is. I hate torx...always slipping or if it is tight, the bit splines just bend. Instead of welding a nut to it, can't you just replace it w/ a normal bolt? I'll have to look at how it seals.

Well, I've spent a lot of time trying to remove this plug without success. The socket was damaged by some previous owner and so neither a 10mmm hex nor Torx will fit securely. I've used heat and a grip wrench on the outsideof the plug to no avail. I'll have to get a nut welded to it and remove it that way, or maybe I'm just using the wrong swear words!!

Graham