Can't Find A Bush (help Please)

XSU976

post-2779-1208290569_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I think I've made BOO BOO, I've signed up for Barkstone next month and thought I give my new toy a bit of adjustment up front. When looking at the bushes on the front shocks they were clearly worse for wear and as I have next to zero ground clearance I though every mm would count so set about removing the shocks to simply replace the bushes, should be no problem.

Once removed the bushes are clearly shot and on one actually worn through to the steel, the rubber insert came out quite easily, all I need to do now is buy new bushes and fit them.

I foolishly thought it would be no problem finding new bushes, I was wrong, as I'm sure you all know the suppliers for shocks all want a model for their search engines and RH doesn't pop up. I spoke to a couple of very helpfull guys at Deling on Sunday who are of the opinion that the shocks are actually Mini shocks, I believe they are original RH supplied "Zimmerides" can anyone please advise on where I might find these bushes, prefferably local to Luton / Dunstable.

Hopefully I have attached a picture of the offending part, the mounting shaft is 9.4mm dia I assume its 3/8" and the tightest point insite the mounting ring is 3/4" opening out to 1" at the outer edge. Any help would be gratefully received as I really don't want to miss thwe track day.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

where are you ?

may have some zimmers in the workshop

not sure how stuffed the bushes are though

may be good enough to get a measurement, if not good anough to put in

dave

Wow how helpfull are you guys,

Mitch, I never thought of the motorcycle idea, I'll give it a go at the weekend if I can't get any further.

Dave,

I'm in Houghton Regis near Dunstable, I don't get home till late but would you be around at the weekend?

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

I have a used set of plastic bushes for the zimmers which you could have to get you going, they are not very good but better than nothing if you can’t find anything else to use. The originals do wear/die very quickly as they were only intended for a shock absorber not as a coil over. I am often in Dunstable at the weekends, I assume you know GDC as he is in Houghton too.

post-2779-1208290569_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I think I've made BOO BOO, I've signed up for Barkstone next month and thought I give my new toy a bit of adjustment up front. When looking at the bushes on the front shocks they were clearly worse for wear and as I have next to zero ground clearance I though every mm would count so set about removing the shocks to simply replace the bushes, should be no problem.

Once removed the bushes are clearly shot and on one actually worn through to the steel, the rubber insert came out quite easily, all I need to do now is buy new bushes and fit them.

I foolishly thought it would be no problem finding new bushes, I was wrong, as I'm sure you all know the suppliers for shocks all want a model for their search engines and RH doesn't pop up. I spoke to a couple of very helpfull guys at Deling on Sunday who are of the opinion that the shocks are actually Mini shocks, I believe they are original RH supplied "Zimmerides" can anyone please advise on where I might find these bushes, prefferably local to Luton / Dunstable.

Hopefully I have attached a picture of the offending part, the mounting shaft is 9.4mm dia I assume its 3/8" and the tightest point insite the mounting ring is 3/4" opening out to 1" at the outer edge. Any help would be gratefully received as I really don't want to miss thwe track day.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

Tom,

As far as I'm aware, the Zeemerides *are* Mini shocks, but they've been modified by Robin Hood.

Should be easy to get hold of those bushes :D

Pete

Gents thanks for the support, I've managed to track down the bush through Mini Spares in Potters Bar but unfortunately there not on stock (computer said 1, bin said no)

On a positive note they did have some poly bushes which allthough they have a 1/2" sleeve I'm reasonably confident that I can make them fit, so hang fire with your kind offers until the weekend.

Thanks again for the input,

Tom Hayden

Dave,

Thanks for looking its much appreciated but I think I've cracked it.

Whilst mooching around the stores at work looking for a suitable spacer I fell over some poly springs which are exactly the right width and diameter, only the bore is too small but that a good thing.

Got home tonight and turned a groove in the centre of the bush to match the old one on my lathe (by lathe I mean a drill clamped in a workbench and a file for a cutting with)

Bush fits perfectly, just need to perfect opening out the centre to take the original steel bush as my first attempt wasn't quite square, it will be by Sunday.

Thanks again for the offers of help,

Tom Hayden