How Much Oil

Guest Paul Morgan

Guest Paul Morgan

Fitted my 3.62 diff today, and as I don't have a manual how much oil should I put in. I presume just fill them until oil starts to come out of the filler.

Is that correct ?

Thanks

Paul

Guest Paul Morgan

No the price of pleasure is 21mpg at £4.91 a gallon but still wouldn't swap the V8 for anything more economical though. Don't think the wife will like the £450 road tax in a couple of years :girl_devil: .

Paul

Hell's bell's your not kidding , at that rate it will soon be time to take out a mortgage or sell a few organs !!!!! :o

All ready sold the wife into slavery many moons ago . :D

Mike

Guest Paul Kirby
Paul the level is supposed to be 10mm below the drain plug, obviously someone with a sense of humour at ford or just that they had x-ray vision ;)

The filler plug hole is just that a filler not a level plug hole. Too much oil can lead to excessive pressure within the final drive unit which can lead to oil seal failure. Simply get a piece of wire and bend the one end so it looks a little like an "alan" key where the short part is 10 mm long and use this as a rough dip stick. Then keep topping the FDU up and checking until you see oil on your dip stick (ooer missus etc!) Don't drop the dip stick into the FDU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by axle man

Guest Paul Kirby
There's always some-one with a sensible answer-- I was gonner sugest jacking the car up to get the plug-hole 10mm above level :good:

If you jacked the car up at the rear and then filled to the level/filler plug, when you lowered the car to the ground oil would pour out of the FDU

You could of course jack the front of the car up and check that the filler/level plug hole is 10 mm below where it started from and then fill to the level, but this is now getting a little anal!

Edited by axle man

Guest Ad_W2001

Ok here comes an amateur question - is the little black nozzle thing the filler, as seen on near rear side of this photo

Piccy

and for us lightweighters, is this the rediculous hole we have to try and fill it up through? (the bigger hole in the centre of the panel)

Piccy

Cheers,

Adam