Rear Wheel Bearing Torque

Guest Paul Kirby

Guest Paul Kirby

My 3A passed the MOT yesterday but had an advisory re the offside rear wheel bearing which has "slight play"

Is it simply a case of tightening the hub nut? If so, does anyone know the required torque? The axle is the drum brake type.

Cheers, Paul

Edited by axle man

Guest Paul Kirby
haynes says -

Driveshaft nut - 185 to 214 lbf ft (250 to 290 Nm)

which seems about right from memory on other cars ive done.

hth

Thanks for the info. A quick job for the weekend!

I really must get a Haynes for the Sierra.

Cheers, Paul :D

Assuming a sierra axle? Tightening the nut will do nothing for the play as it's a double ball bearing type, not a taper roller which can be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Guest Paul Kirby
Assuming a sierra axle? Tightening the nut will do nothing for the play as it's a double ball bearing type, not a taper roller which can be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Tony

It looks like I'm going to have to replace the bearings then. Ah well, the weather's not going to be too good so a day in the garage looks very likely!

Cheers, Paul :D

Edited by axle man

Guest vacinc
You need a big socket & a scaffold pole to get those off & back on at somewhere near the right torque.....

Dan :)

CORRECT, and about six feet long to,swing on it

here"s a wee story about my rear wheel bearing. ?

replaced it about seven months ago (passengers side back ) three weeks later and it was away again. ? replaced it again (luckly enough the bearings are bought trade 10 to 12 pound each ) tightened it up, but still slack on the wheel, had a closer look at the back of the hub and discovered that because i"d drove it for to long with the bearing gone (a few track days ?) that the hub it"s self had about three sixteenths wore of the face, put on a new hub. another job sorted, call me a plonker , easly done

Guest Paul Kirby
CORRECT, and about six feet long to,swing on it

here"s a wee story about my rear wheel bearing. ?

replaced it about seven months ago (passengers side back ) three weeks later and it was away again. ? replaced it again (luckly enough the bearings are bought trade 10 to 12 pound each ) tightened it up, but still slack on the wheel, had a closer look at the back of the hub and discovered that because i"d drove it for to long with the bearing gone (a few track days ?) that the hub it"s self had about three sixteenths wore of the face, put on a new hub. another job sorted, call me a plonker , easly done

I have access to torque meters which go over 600Nm so I just need to stop the road wheel turning when I'm swinging on the torque meter. Centre cap off, wheel on the ground, hand brake on should do it! (and perhaps a truss for overexertion! :blink: )

Guest Paul Kirby
Best way is a long flat substantial bar, drilled to bolt onto 2 wheel studs, & rested on the ground.

Bob

I'll knock one up at work tomorrow

Cheers

Paul