You Couldn't Make It Up.

Longboarder

I despair of the jobsworths in this country. Liverpool is having a crackdown on illegal dumping of industrial waste. Admirable you may think. They visited a scaffolder to check on his waste disposal licence.

'Dont have one' the guy said. 'There is no waste. Poles, clamps, boards. I go to the job, put up scaffolding, leave. No waste'

'Do you eat on the job, stop for lunch.?' says the jobsworth.

'Yea' says the scaffolder. 'Bring sarnies and a flask for lunch and might have a mars bar for elevenses but I take the wrappers home with me.'

'Right.' says the jobsworth. 'Under the Act the wrappers are classified as industrial waste and you are committing a criminal offence. I am reporting you for trading without a licence to dispose of industrial waste and should inform you the minimum penalty is £300.'

Have we all lost the plot.

Nigel

Guest timswait

You're getting quite fond of your little rants aren't you Nigel? ;)

This is daft, especially when you hear of companies that rent skips and then just empty them into the nearest woodland. Even if they get caught, prosecuted and receive the maximum fine, it's still only about what they can make in a month doing it. Oh, and if you hire a skip from these people then you're responsible for what they do with it after they take it away, so you can get fined along with the crooked operator.

I know of an industrial incinerator that could have a job ticket raised for disposal of said jobsworths, working temperature 1500C+........ :D Probably get fined for emissions though.........

Beaurocrasy gone stark raving bleedin mad, are they on commission or something?

Al

It's not a rant Tim just an observation of how what starts off as a sensible idea that we can all fully support, i.e. the proper disposal of industrial waste, somehow gets perverted into this sort of lunacy. 300 quid and a criminal record for eating a mars bar and his sarnies at work even though he takes the wrappers home with him and puts them in his bin. I wonder if he unwrapped the mars bar at home and put his sarnies in his snap box without any greaseproof paper on them would he be in the clear? Probably isn't allowed to have a fag on the job or in the van on the way home either.

Nigel

getting a visit from enforcement officers working for a public-private agency set up by the council

<_<

£300 minimum fine

inpector has to be paid for somewhere

if he doesn't fine anyone he's out of a job, not generating any revenue

<_<

or am i just being cynical

cheers

ek B)

p.s. anyone know liverpool council's current financial status?

Sell a product in it's cardboard box, customer takes home,unraps & puts box in his home bin=all O.K=domestic rubbish----Unrap goods for customer (to check all is O.K) he takes goods home & you (the retailer) put box in your bin= you pay council LOADS of money to dis-pose of your trade waste--been happening for the past 20 odd years down here.