Handbrake

Guest karpet

This car I am building has got the handbrake lever on the passenger side floor. Will it pass the SVA with it in this position? I thought I had read somewhere that you had to be able to put the handbrake on with your harness seatbelt tight. This would be impossible with the handbrake in this position. I have looked at moving it to the top of the tunnel but the cables and adjusters dont seem to fit nicely. Can anybody give me any clues. Also has anybody got building instructions on DVD please, that I could beg, borrow, steal or buy?

Thanks

roy has a nice setup for his hand brake mabe he will post some details on how he did it. some people have got then on the tunnel i think. As for reaching with harness on i can but wouldent say it was easy.

Guest Ian & Carole

One easy mod is simply to cut the leaver half way down, bend it up to a better angle and plate the gap you have created.

This way your handle is nearer the tunnel top.

The release rod will bend to compensate for the mod.

Hi Pete.

As Phil says, I went for a fairly unique solution. It involves a fair bit of engineering (took three weeks) but was well worth the effort.

This is the final result.

post-419-1226575812_thumb.jpg

This shows the linkage.

post-419-1226575110_thumb.jpg

I can email more details if you are interested.

Roy

Hi Pete.

As Phil says, I went for a fairly unique solution. It involves a fair bit of engineering (took three weeks) but was well worth the effort.

This is the final result.

post-419-1226575812_thumb.jpg

This shows the linkage.

post-419-1226575110_thumb.jpg

I can email more details if you are interested.

Roy

HI roy. No just send hand brake lever and linkage or come over and fit it have loads of tea bags :yahoo:

Look tip top very nice interior yes more pics would be good

One easy mod is simply to cut the leaver half way down, bend it up to a better angle and plate the gap you have created.

This way your handle is nearer the tunnel top.

The release rod will bend to compensate for the mod.

it never fails to amaze me how many different solutions people come up with for the same problem. Kind of wish i'd thought of this one above as it seems simple and quick but its similar to what i did.

Mine is still in the passenger footwell in the original position but i cut a bit out of the back of the handle so it comes much further up, then i welded a new piece with a tooth on so it will click in the ratchet at the higher position. at the other end of the lever i added an extra bit so it poked through the floor a bit further as the original bit is too short when the lever is set higher. The lever now sits just off vertical and just pokes above the tunnel top.

just anouther idea to add to the pot

hth

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delayed reply. I havn't been on the community site for a while.

If you email me (Via email link in my profile) I will send more handbrake info/pics etc.

Thanks for the offer of tea etc, but if you want the second best hand brake in the club you get to do the graft yourself.

Advise always available free of charge.

Roy