Air Compressors?

Guest Angel Boy

Guest Angel Boy

Hi folks.

A friend of mine has just got his good lady a 40 yr old Beetle which needs a little welding work and a re-spray. He wants to re-spray himself as a project so needs an air compressor as a starter as he has been given the spray guns etc. What are the type of things he should be looking for in a compressor? Is capacity king or is their a sensible compromise?

I know very little so would appreciate your views and experiences?

Ta v much,

Andy

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Andy

Like most things you only get what you pay for, stating the obvious I know, but get the best you can afford.

The larger the tank the longer you will be able to spray for before you run out of puff.

Machine mart do a good range at reasonable prices.

Not really a lot of help sorry, do your home work.

Hi,

i bought a small 1.5 horsepower 25ltr compressor and sprayed my car and i was well pleased with the results. It does take longer with the small capacity as you have to wait when you run out of air pressure. wasn't too much of a prob for me as i did each panel separately. aldi was doing a more powerful compressor pretty cheap a while ago normally about £100. Mine is a self lubricating one which means i dont need an oil separator in the airline. I didnt get any problems with water so i didnt get a water separator either.

HTH

A couple of years ago i bought a Cheap Valley 2.5kw twin take off 25ltr receiver compressor , could have done with a larger receiver though for useing air tools etc, but for spraying was ok , the only weak point is the reed valve system as i have had to replace it twice up to now , i had to make them out of some spring steel, so bought a set of spring steel scrapers used for body filler, but very cheap and does the job, plus enough material to make a few more spares for when it goes again.

Mike

As Ian says do your research :(

What spray gun has he been given and how much free air does it require?

I have had a couple of 1.5 HP ones over the years and found they were a bit small

If your mate can run to it a 14cfm 3HP is about the biggest you will need for DIY use but usually need a 15 amp 240v feed (You can wire into a ring main but will find a 13amp socket a bit light)

You may also need 1 or 2 oil water seperators (1 at the compressor and one as close as you can to the point of use) it's all down to how you use it. the hotter it gets the wamer the air is, and holds moisture, as the air cools water will 'drop out' of the air, and spit out of the spray gun. (ok untill you are on the last couple of passes of the final top coat).

Also remember free air is the calculated value of how much air it will deliver not the actual.

Again as Ian says machine mart do a huge range AND do spares if ever needed,

HTH

Steve

Go for the biggest pump you can afford; a larger tank will only reduce the frequency of the pump cycles ( cut-in at L/P -- run -- cut-out at H/P -- tank pressure falls to cut-in L/P ) I can run a 3Kw pump on 13A socket with only an occasional blown fuse; which my wife replaces while making the next coffee ---or vice-versa if she's doing the spraying.

Guest Stuart wilson

I'm greedy i've got two. First one is an SIP 3hp 14cfm this is supposed to be run of a 15amp circuit, I've just got it in a normal 13amp plug. It does sometimes pop a fuse more so when its cold in the winter months, solve this by warming the oil up in it by facing a fan heater at it. Also got a smaller one that ALDI were selling.

Use the large one for spraying(with a seperator fitted in line) DA sanders, cut of tools etc. The small one basiclly for blowing tyres up and blowing things clean.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or something you have to sign up for, but Machine Mart do fairly regular VAT-free evening's, which usually includes all Clarke products. Save yourself a few pennies.

Also, I don't know if this is true or an old wives tale, but I was always told that you should let the air out of a compressor whenever you're not using it to stop condensation build up in the tank?

It's a pity all compressor sellers mix metric & imperial measures -- 150 litres = 5.28 cu.foot; compressor pump figures are cu.foot of swept volume -- it can never push all swept volume into tank;so as I mentioned before go for highest power of motor.